As the author of the brightness patch, Madler asked on my weblog if it
was possible to disable the brightness decrease when viewing photos. As
noted here, that decrease is there to save the screen a bit. It only
occurs when the brightness is set above 50%.

It's not that difficult to add to my patch. Al that is needed is an
extra menu item, and an extra check on 'this line'
(https://github.com/danielvijge/ReduceBrightness/blob/7.8/src/squeezeplay_fab4/share/applets/SqueezeboxFab4/SqueezeboxFab4Applet.lua#L471).
The actual decrease is calculated two lines below, on '473'
(https://github.com/danielvijge/ReduceBrightness/blob/7.8/src/squeezeplay_fab4/share/applets/SqueezeboxFab4/SqueezeboxFab4Applet.lua#L473).
This wouldn't be too difficult to make, and probably I have some time to
build a new version somewhere next week. I'll release that on the beta
channel. Although I'm not quite sure if it is actually useful, because
the decrease is minimal.

For the timer functions mentioned by m4rk, that is more difficult,
because it would require more code. Not sure yet if I'll do that,
depends on my time, my interests, and if others are interested in such a
feature.