I feel out of my depth here so would appreciate your input further
please. What I have done so far:

On my pc I created a new text document and copied the http:// jpeg files
(the default ones on squeezebox) into the text document and saved. I
then drag and drop this .txt file containing all URLs into the Web
Servers share folder. Is this correct?

When I access this share folder on my pc (by a browser entering the ip
address of my nas) I'm directed to an 'index of' screen with a link to
the .txt file. Click on the link and all the jpeg are there in list
order.

Entering the ip address of the nas into the image viewer settings on the
touch chucks out an error similar to 'invalid image file'

All the touch needs is the nas ip address as the nas is set up to
redirect to the web server share folder when accessing over http. But
currently it'll be going to the 'index of' screen I assume?

Is there anything else I can try?