Thanks for the replies guys

I do run the SBT through my Cyrus dacX but the reason i asked about hd
direct is i have been using both methods but found streaming from pc via
router sounded better than hd direct but my 1 tb hd is usb powered and
yesterday i had a thought and dug out my old usb hub thats powered to
try and the sound instantly improved and became very close now to the
streamed sound.

Seems the hd direct sound can be improved by adding the powered hub but
its still not as good to my ears and was wondering what else could
effect its performance and if you guys had any ideas for further tweaks
to try.

I do listen 12 hours aday using the pc but do like to listen later at
night without the pc turned on so value the best sound i can get via hd
direct.

Sorry to be such a noob JD