I've been running EDO > iFi iUSB > MF V-Link 192 > DAC for some time
with excellent results. However I still don't know what's taking place
inside the Touch that's different from S/PDIF output straight to DAC.
What, if anything, is being bypassed inside the Touch that could make
the signal cleaner?

My other question is regarding the EDO buffer settings. What exactly is
this supposed to do?

With TT3.0 everyone seemed to have their own buffer value "recipe". I'm
supposing the EDO settings are a more user-friendly version of these but
is there a consensus of what sounds best. I've tried a few of these
settings without any problems but I can't say MY aging ears hear a big
difference between them so I left them at "default"