audiophilelp wrote:

> So why is it OK with QNAP? The flac/sox option is not available in the
> corresponding part of LMS in Synology NAS.

This is often down to cpu versions very few things not having an x86
type of cpu can run SoX and even if they can it can be down to
peculiarities in the NAS linux distro or the NAS vendors LMS distro
(synology roll thier own LMS package and maybe they got lazy and made a
one size fits all package , some of thier nas boxes should be able to
run SoX ?).
This is also the case with RasPI and plug computers , I dont think many
arm cpu based things can do this (if any at all) .

For maximum possible compatibility the server is better x86 based .

This is one of the cons with a nas or plug computer server , low power
small and silent must cost somewhere . there are good compromises like
the vortex box or HP microserver .
This is not really a problem if you know about it and are willing to
work around it :) For example only use formats that can be played
natively on the squeezebox , best bet is flac ,aiff also works but i
think there is a bug with hirez aiff (but then the workaround is to
convert them to flac )