Fizbin wrote:
> Try WAV files. No converting = less processing. (Obviously a
> space-hogging format, but try it nonetheless)

With network connection playing WAV files on SBT has been measured to
have a higher processing load than playing Flac due to more than double
the amount of data to be processed (i.e. more than double network I/Os
and interrupts). I can imagine it is same situation with playing disk
based WAV files but only measurements can definitely prove this as disks
can have large readahead caches and have larger transfer block sizes
than a network connection.

Could the OP disk be in some sort of power save/motor off mode between
tracks and the disk is the cause of the delay and not SBT.