crystalgipsy wrote:
> Because it seems to be the recommended thing to do on this forum

Depends on who you ask.

> and and I am also using Soundchecks touch toolbox and that also
> recommends to switch decoding/encoding to the server to improve sq.

Ah. You rate "doing the maximum tinkering I can" higher than "having a
working system". Well, this is what you get.

> So this is all bogus?

Well, the argument brought forward by audiophiles in this forum has been
that this reduces the load on the Touch's processor created by decoding
the FLAC and this would cause better sound because of less noise.

However, several people have done measurements and shown that the actual
load on the system is _higher_ if you stream WAV instead of FLAC. FLAC
requires very little CPU power to decode and on the other hand WAV has
twice the data that needs to be processed during network transmission
causing twice as many packets to be sent, twice as much data to be
buffered and so on.
When that came out people changed their argument and now said that it
sounds better because the additional load causes more "steady" noise.
I hope you at least don't use WiFi because over WiFi it really becomes
hilarious. With WiFi you now have to send twice the data through a
strong encryption algorithm which takes much, much, much more CPU power
to decode than FLAC....

Make of this what you want, I think all the TT and server-side decoding
and stuff is just because people think they get better sound just
because their system just got tweaked, whatever actual effect that
tweaking has.

Fact is: WAV is the worst format you can probably get for streaming. You
stream huge loads of data, you have no metainformation so that the
player needs to guess and verify a lot of that. There's a reason the
server always streams FLAC by default and the reason is not, that all
the trained engineers (including audio engineers) who designed the
system at Logitech had less clue of what they do than some hobbyists.

Change this and you ask for trouble like the one you are seeing with
Qobuz now, there's probably going to be more, like occasional stutter,
longer start delays, more network load issues and the like.

> And does not answer my question as to why it can do it from flac files
> from another network location ( lms on separate PC to media) but not
> QOBUS.

Probably because decoding and re-streaming a stream is different from
doing it with a file that you can access as a whole.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*