doctor_big wrote:
> I see. So volume must be full to pass an unaltered signal?
>
> Edit... Is the situation the same for  a pi running max2play?

If you change the volume, the signal is altered, by definition. Doesn't
matter what device or software you use.

Only exception is when you don't actually change the volume, but only
send volume change requests "down the line" (to a smart enough DAC, for
example) - but at some point the actual change has to happen.

But does it matter? Why do you need an "unaltered" signal? If you send
an analog signal to an analog volume potentiometer, that signal gets
altered too.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953