My listening habits are like Chris’ above: typically full albums. To the
OP’s question when this thread was started last year, I use a Synology
115j for both music storage and LMS.

It’s a low end, single bay NAS. Works great unless LMS is scanning the
library, then everything slows to a crawl. With automated scanning at
night, this isn’t a concern of course.

I would like to switch to something that will tell me when storage
starts to go bad. Whether that’s my single drive, or multiple drives, I
don’t think matters to me since I’d have to envoke a backup.

Actually, I suppose that’s incorrect. A multi-drive RAID should alert me
and permit replacing the drive in-place ... I know everyone says a RAID
is never “a backup,” but if the system tells you to swap in a new drive,
and you do it, you’ve essentially fixed and backed up the data, in a
practical sense.

Obviously, for the sake of that example I’m ignoring a physical breach
of the NAS, or the NAS hardware or its OS ruining the array somehow.

Remember the old days, when all you had to worry about was fire or
flood?