Some of the devices that claim "USB" capability i.e. Touch, and in my
recent experience Bluesound Node 2, don't specify that the capability is
limited to USB sticks, and they apparently don't have the horsepower to
operate an HDD attached directly to them. The techies on this site can
probably explain why better than I can. So you need a separate computer,
maybe the right NAS, or a Pi device to make it work. I have a 2 TB HDD
wired directly to a Pi running LMS, and it works fine.

Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server
7.9 and SqueezeLite
Pioneer Elite VSX 80, KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD
Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
Harmony Smart Control w/Hub
Dining Room: KEF Q100's
Anywhere Else As Needed: Logitech Boom