When you hooked the Touch to Ethernet, are you sure it was connected to
the internet? Like I mentioned on the other linked thread (post #2) The
Touch _with_later_firmware_ will not proceed past the Choose Language
screen if it can not get an internet connection. With older firmware you
can bypass this screen by pressing Home button on the remote. I'm pretty
sure you can downgrade the firmware by inserting a USB drive or SD card
with the proper file, even if you can't bypass this screen. (I did it,
so you must be able to)

I BELIEVE (not 100% sure) that the file you want is
fab4_7.8.0_r16739.bin (not the one that says r16754), which you can find
here...

http://update-origin.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.8.0/

Otherwise just try something older like fab4_7.7.3_r16676.bin

http://update-origin.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.7.7/