I just did my second one today. It's best to take it apart. This can be
fiddly, but there are eight 'snaps' holding the thing together. I got a
good thumbnail between the front and back parts, and managed to get one
apart. I could then get a spudger in there and get the rest to pop. I
think someone has put some pictures of the positions of these snaps
somewhere on this forum.
When you get it apart, rub the top part with a soft cloth soaked in
Propan-2-ol (Isopropanol), and a lot of elbow grease. Don't use Acetone
(nail varnish remover); that will remove the text and leave the surface
looking horrible.
Eventually it will all come off. Also, I scraped a lot of the stuff off
first with a thumbnail. Finally, give it a wash with some dish soap, dry
it, and give it a good polish. Good as new!