My experience is that wifi really won't allow anything above about FLAC 5
to work smoothly without rebufferring. The easy way to check this is just
to play a series of tracks ripped to low kbps up to the high end 'high res'
stuff. The difference can be up 5,000 kbits per track. So a recent download
can be at >5kbps whereas a track you dowloaded or ripped a few years ago
could be at 128kbps. The latter is unlikely to cause any rebufferring
whilst the latter definitely will - over wifi.

Of course, to have a reliable wifi system is now perfectly possible with
the current gen of mesh systems etc but you may still have to physically
wire the Touch into the network if you routinely listen to highres stuff.
For instance I would not bother with installing the EDO stuff on a Touch
that only relies on wifi connect.

Andrew