I'm sure I'm using the expected method - so this is a workaround, not
a solution:

I usually add the plugin path to the PYTHONPATH by the time I run
setup.py develop --install-dir.

BTW I got several issues with the site.py file that is installed w/
this command: the python interpreter gets mad and enter an infinite
loop (100% CPU time...) when I run tracd. I got used to remove the
site.py and site.pyc files to make it work. I should admit I'm not a
fan of setuptools and the less time I have to deal with it, the
better. So you'd better not to follow my workaround here, it's
definitely not a good idea - but it works ;-)

I hope someone will post a better and safer answer...

Cheers,
Manu

--
Manu