I am on a project that has 2 very distinct parts.  An embedded device,
  and a sister application that runs entirely on PC.  From trac, I will
  run them as separate milestones with separate components.  The
  question is really what is the best strategy for maintaining this in
  the repo.  I EVENTUALLY want some sort of continuous build/unittest
  framework (say, bitten)  but one step at a time.  The PC app is on
  language x while the embedded stuff is in language Y, so whatever I do
  will require separate set-ups etc.  which brought me to:

  Should I just create 2 projects, they really are almost independent
  separate aside from final integration?
  Should I use a single project, with separate branches?
  Should I use a single project, single branch, but split off the
  directories right in the main root of the trunk?  i.e. /trunk/
  embedded
  and
  /trunk/pc_app

I would use a single project (and hence repository), and structure it
with separate TTB points:

  embedded/
    trunk/
    tags/
    branches
  pc_app/
    trunk/
    tags/
    branches

The downside is that you can't just do single 'svn co'.   So I would add

  foo-cm/
    trunk/
      CHECKOUT-ALL (a file)
    tags/
    branches

and make CHECKOUT-ALL be a script that does

  svn co https://bar.example.com/svn/bar/foo-cm/trunk foo-cm
  svn co https://bar.example.com/svn/bar/embedded/trunk embedded
  svn co https://bar.example.com/svn/bar/pc_app/trunk pc_app

Then you have a single project with shared tickets, but you can branch
and tag the pieces independently.