I have a little more information, through bludgeoned debugging I have
figured out the place where everything is falling over:

First a recap

Trac-post-commit-hook executes fine within a dos-box within a 'normal'
environment

However trac-post-commit-hook falls over when executed within a more
'confined' subversion environment where there are no no pre-defined
environmental variables.

I am already providing all of the system-wide environmental variables
(that I know of) to the hook-script so there must be something
specifically peculiar about the different environments.

Can somebody tell me what this line does, and why it falls over in the
'confined' environment as opposed to the 'normal' environment.

Trac-post-commit-hook.py

chgset = repos.get_changeset(rev)

up to this point everything is fine in both dos environments, we can get
the trac environment, something that points to the subversion repository
- except when we try to perform an action on the repository it flops
over.

Can anybody help ?