Aaron Watters wrote:
Hi folks.  I'm interested in tools for online education
and it occurs to me that in many ways online courses
can be a bit like development projects.

Would it be feasible to set up Trac to support managing
assignments and deliverables between an instructor
and a group of students?  Or maybe have a Trac
project for each student in class for managing that
student's work?

Here each assignment might
be a ticket and the deliverables would be accumulated
as ticket attachments -- or maybe you folks have better
ideas...

A key concern, of course, would be privacy and security
-- only the student and the instructor(s) should see the
deliverables and grading comments for that student, and
it would be great if there was a special field called "grade"
that could only be modified by the intructor...  Also, a
university would probably like to manage usernames
and passwords centrally and stuff like that...

You might want to check out https://coderanger.net/browser/projects/trac/gradebook as a starting point.

--Noah