I had something similar going on when using mod_python and trac. I
would see see load levels of 10, et c., and httpd processes that
stuck around, runnable/running, for a long long time. I switched back
to the CGI and most of the problem went away but I was still getting
fairly slow responses (slower than you'd expect with the trac CGI).

I found two things fixed the problem: 1) blocking robots - it seems a
new site gets discovered fairly fast and I was seeing simultaneous
accesses from Google, msn, yahoo and several others. 2) reducing the
number of requests per child - the default in httpd.conf was 4000 and
I dropped MaxRequestsPerChild to 100 and switched back to mod_python
(1000 was suggested, but I tried 100 and haven't had a chance to play
around with it more). Performance is very good and load levels are
where they should be.

HTH

--
James Gallagher