> This works:
> $ sudo -u _www tracd --port 8000 /usr/local/trac
>
> This is what doesn't work:
> $ tracd --port 8000 /usr/local/trac
>
> Not even if I have given permissions in the following way:
> $ sudo chown -R _www /usr/local/trac

So everything is normal here:
You've change the files' owner to _www, so only _www can R/W the files.
Which means that from the command line, you need to start tracd as the
_www user.

It should also work with Apache shipped w/ Leopard.

What do you want to exactly achieve (I'm not sure about your goals) ?

Cheers,
Manu