On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:07:26PM -0800, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:

> Incorrect, HTTP auth credentials are kept by the browser for the duration of
> the session. This a "feature" of all modern browsers and cannot (as far as I
> know) be disabled.

Just FYI, the only system I've seen manage to get the browser to drop
the stored BasicAuth credentials is Zope's management interface. There,
the logout button takes you to a page (manage_zmi_logout, ISTR) that
returns a "401 Unauthorized" regardless of the credentials presented.
This causes the browser to drop the cached credentials, but
(unfortunately) also prompt for new credentials. It's fine for a
web-framework management interface, whose users are by definition very
web savvy and technical, but would probably not fly for something even
as technical as they typical trac site. Go with some sort of forms auth.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reeds...@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166