On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Jeff Hammel<jham...@openplans.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 02:36:49PM +0200, Eirik Schwenke wrote:

>> Noah Kantrowitz skrev 04. juni 2009 22:13:
>> > Link to the last discussion on this (or at least one of the last)
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/trac-dev/browse_thread/thread/f79a1cbb894fe079/8e7d047d0c9fcf16
>> >
>> > --Noah
>>
>> Thanks for the link -- didn't think to include it -- my questions re
>> syntax was partly motivated by the points made in that thread. I'd be
>> very interested to hear some more detailed views on ReST vs wiki markup
>> - -- right now I see two points in favour of the wiki markup:
>>
>>   1) It's what a great number of trac users already know
>>   2) Existing trac macros already integrated with the trac
>>      wiki processor.

(Besides) IMHO I also like Trac syntax because :

- It's extensible (macros + processors)
- It's more close to what humans have in mind when they
  write something (yes ! the users mental model do care :))
  e.g. TracLinks
- Productivity (one line generates one million :P)
- The only thing I like about ReST is the way it handles links.
  I mean, I write the link target just once and thereinafter I
  dont need to repeat the link URL anymore. OTOH using Trac
  wiki syntax I need to write [<url> text] everywhere I need to
  insert a link to some location. That's the only thing that
  makes me waste my time (and therefore I'm not comfortable
  with ...) but I can live with that . BTW this is also why links
  are frequently missing while using ReST, but also why its
  relatively simple to fix it IMHO .

but all this can also raise a number of incompatibilities | «dont know
what to do» situations for transformations (e.g. to obtain HTML, PDF,
...) | every body is doing it a different way. So that's hardly
against standards, but it is really powerful.

In fact I even use Trac wiki syntax to write my blog posts (Blogger).
In the end, (in this case) the only thing that matters is HTML ;)

>> Christian further mentions: "(Trac has) Much improved table markup (the
>> reST table markup is unbearable)".

[...]
>> I agree the trac simple syntax is easier than the rest simple syntax,
>> but I think "unreadable" is a bit strong ?

[...]
> I've come to the conclusion than doing any sort of complicated table with any
> markdown language is just horrible.

Oh yes ! you 'r right.

--
Regards,