yoheeb skrev 04. juni 2009 21:05:
> On Jun 4, 10:38 am, Eirik Schwenke <eirik.schwe...@nsd.uib.no> wrote:
>> Christian Boos skrev 03. juni 2009 23:37:
>>> yoheeb wrote:
>>> One of the things I've found very useful in MoinMoin wikis (and
>>> certainly many other wikis have this feature but Trac), is the ability
> ...for the record, I didn't write that, so no, I can't elaborate on
> what I meant, but it does sound rather insightful... :D  I have been
> misquoted!  oh no, it's on the internet, it must be true!

Apparently I (or someone before me) failed miserably when trying to
clean up attributions and quotes in the thread. My apologies.

> As an observation, here's is what I think seems to of washed out of
> this hijacked thread so far in terms of intent....
>
> maybe we should have an "adopt-a-wiki-page" type thing, similar to
> adopt-a-hack on track hacks.

(...)

> Also, we could, for example, "standardize" on a convention for recipe
> naming:
> SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoDoSomethingCool
> SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoDoSomethingMoreCool
> SomeOtherTopic/Recipes/HowtoDoSomethingLame
(...)

> What'cha think?

This is one approach. I think it is sound -- but see my other post on
what we want where wrt documentation -- and also how we deal (or if we
should attempt to deal) with translations and the possibility of
different versions of a documentation-section for different releases of
trac.

Maybe enhancing your naming scheme to:

 <ReleaseOrTag>/SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoDoSomethingCool

and/or:

<2LetterLanguageCode>/<ReleaseOrTag>/SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoDoSomethingCool

Eg:
  no/0.11/SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoCoolness
  en/0.11/SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoCoolness
  /0.11/SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoCoolness (maps to defined default
                                             language, eg "en" or
                                            "no" ?)
  en/trunk/SomeWikiTopic/Recipes/HowtoCoolness

There's still a question of resources and links from these pages to the
sourcecode repository (images, code), eg make sure links form the
/wiki/trunk goes to /svn/trunk, and /wiki/0.10/ goes to the right
versions... Maybe "simple" mapping would be enough.

These are old arguments/questions that led in the direction of the
newhelp branch (as far as I remember, can tell from a bit of googling).

However: We do *have* a wiki -- presumably we want something in it.
Possibly more than discussions... I don't think we need a
black-and-white test for what goes in the wiki and what goes in the
"proper" version controlled documentation -- but clearly the current
state of the wiki has severe limitations as a document management system.

That might be a design decision (or perhaps non-decision).

Maybe this is actually a "new" / distinct feature, and the direction
forward should be that a trac project has:

  tickets (in db)
  source code (in vcs)
  documentation (in vcs with possibility of web editing/wiki)
  tests (via bitten)
  discussion (wiki/mailinglist/usenet news/irc)

The point being that source code and documentation might not be well
served by viewing them as the same.

I'm not sure what seeing wiki as a vehicle for discussion actually
implies. But it is an interesting observation if we take it seriously,
and at face value.

Again see the google wave presentation (wave.google.com) for some ideas
on this. I don't think we want to abandon http/svn for a jabber based
protocol (certainly not for 0.12!) -- but there are some ideas there
that are interesting.

- -e

- --
 .---.  Eirik Schwenke <eirik.schwe...@nsd.uib.no>
( NSD ) Harald HÃ¥rfagresgate 29            Rom 150
 '---'  N-5007 Bergen            tlf: (555) 889 13

  GPG-key at pgp.mit.edu  Id 0x8AA3392C