On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 10:55:16 AM UTC-7, Adam Howell wrote:

> Where I work, we have ~100 trac projects hosted & the landing page takes a
> long time to load. We use the TRAC_ENV_PARENT_DIR in our custom index.html
> page.
>
> I was wondering if there was a method to load things quicker?

Which Trac version? The page generation may be faster with Trac 1.3.x,
which uses Jinja2, whereas versions < 1.3.2 use Genshi.

Are you using Apache? Regardless of the webserver, you could configure
caching for the page to see if that speeds up the load time.

I haven't used mod_cache, but I'd start here:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/caching.html

There are probably methods for caching dynamic HTML, which is what we are
dealing with. From a quick read of that page, I see there are methods to
cache files on disk in memory. If that's the only mechanism that you find,
you could generate index.html using curl and serve the static file from
disk using a Location directive in your Apache configuration.

Make sure that the caching is only enabled for the project index page,
which has content that only changes when an environment is added or deleted
(or its metadata is changed). You probably don't want to cache other
content in Trac which changes often.

Let us know if you find a solution. I'm interested to know the speedup you
achieve with caching.

- Ryan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/trac-users/805d580d-228f-4ccd-8589-8322a27f4087%40googlegroups.com.