Ryan, the issue wasn't seen before upgrading because I had moved from one
server to another before upgrading.  My previous server environment was
completely different, and much more Python-centric at the time.  For the
record I was on a server run by Webfaction but since they have been bought
out their parent company announced they were withdrawing support for Python
with three months notice!

Cheers,
Rob Hills
Waikiki, Western Australia