Rob,

I use soft deletes all the time in Transfer. In essence, it's simply
an update to a particular column.

My understanding from what Mark has said in the past is that because
everyone does soft deletes in a different way, in fact your way,
involving a date field, is different from mine, so it's somewhat
difficult to implement in Transfer in a way that would work well for
everyone.

I know Brian Kotek is a big fan of injecting transfer into his
decorators, precisely into an abstract decorator, wrapping transfer
methods to enable stuff like myObject.save(). If you adopted that
approach, you could overwrite the abstract decorator on the concrete
to enable your approach to soft deletes, even a varying approach as
you've described, and it would be nicely abstracted away so that
everywhere in your app you'd call myObject.delete().

I haven't done that in my current app, but I have it mind for next time.

Nando

--

Nando M. Breiter
The CarbonZero Project