O/H Amos Batto έγραψε:
> Hi,
> Our group runasimipi.org is setting up a Pootle Server
> to translate in languages of the Andes at
> 66.150.224.204:8080 (we will get a real domain name
> eventually).
>
> I have a couple questions and please pardon me if I´m
> asking something which is already explained in the
> documentation somewhere. Just point me to the
> appropiate page.
>
> First of all, let me describe some problems I
> encountered setting up Pootle.  The Description field
> for Projects doesn´t accept characters with
> diacritical marks. I discovered that you have to enter
> the HTML code for those characters (like á) or
> PootleServer won´t run. Then I discovered that none of
> the PO files can have characters with diacritical
> marks. After learning that, the pootle server actually
> managed to start.

I checked that your webserver is emiting UTF-8 (wget -S

66.150.224.204:8080), so it is good.

I am just speculating here; I believe the issue is with either (try in this
order)
a) the locale of the user when running PootleServer is not a Unicode one.
Try "locale -a" to see the available locales. Try "locale" to see what locale
the PootleServer is using.
You locale should be ideally something like es_PE.UTF-8.
b) the Python installation that defaults the encoding to ASCII, and Pootle may
not catch those cases;
Try to change the file /usr/lib/python2.5/site.py, and specifically from

def setencoding():
    """Set the string encoding used by the Unicode implementation.  The
    default is 'ascii', but if you're willing to experiment, you can
    change this."""
    encoding = "ascii" # Default value set by _PyUnicode_Init()

def setencoding():
    """Set the string encoding used by the Unicode implementation.  The
    default is 'ascii', but if you're willing to experiment, you can
    change this."""
    encoding = "utf-8" # Default value set by _PyUnicode_Init()

Out of curiosity, could you please give me a list of the Quechua characters
that accept diacritical marks?
I am interested to see the keyboard layout you have.

Simos