--- F Wolff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  The Description field
> > for Projects doesn´t accept characters with
> > diacritical marks. I discovered that you have to
> enter
> > the HTML code for those characters (like &aacute;)
> or
> >  Then I discovered that none of
> > the PO files can have characters with diacritical
> > marks. After learning that, the pootle server
> > actually managed to start.
>
> I am definitely able to have descriptions with
> diacritics through the
> web interface. Did you perhaps try to add it
> manually in the
> configuration file? In that case you need to make
> sure you prefix the
> description with a 'u'. Something like
>       description = u'Prójéct déscríptíón"

OK, that worked.

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with the PO
> files. Are you
> talking about diacritics in the filenames, or in the
> files itself?

Sorry, I was unclear. I am talking about diacritics in
the header of the PO File, which is the blank msgid
where the information about the package and the
translator is put. I found a bug report about this so,
it is a known problem.

> Pootle is packaged for Debian and
> Ubuntu systems (and
> Gentoo?), which should provide you with start and
> stop scripts
> in /etc/init.d/ like you would have for other
> services. You could
> perhaps also use the scripts from these packages to
> build your own, if
> you want.

I sort of wrote my own simple script and stuck it in
/etc/init.d, which seems to work good enough.

>> The second question is why is there an arbitrary
>> limit
>> of 20 PO entries in Edit mode, whereas you can see
>> 100
>> entries in Read mode. Does the performance degrade
>> so
>> badly with more PO objects in Edit Mode?

> Let us
> know if there are indeed performance problems or
> not, then we can
> perhaps in future look at making this configurable.

Since I'm sitting in Bolivia where internet
connections are really bad, it is dificilt to judge,
but I notice a that it does take much longer for
Pootle to respond when asked for 200 entries at a time
in read mode. Will PyLucene speed up the general
retrieval of entries, or only when doing searches?

I haven´t been able to install PyLucene in Debian
Etch. There is a nice how-to at
https://systemausfall.org/wikis/howto/PyLuceneOnDebian,
but I get errors when I try to install jcc, so I can't
use the latest version of pyLucene. (The error lies in
the instalation of sun-java5-bin, perhaps because my
system was Sarge, upgraded to Etch.)

When I try to compile  PyLucene 2.2.0-1 with gcj, I
can't seem to figure out how to configure the Makefile
correctly. I have installed gcc 3.4 as recommended,
but I can't figure out what is the proper value for
GCJ_HOME in the Makefile. On my system, I don't have a
directory at /usr/local/gcc-3.4.4 or anything similar.
If anyone has compiled PyLucene on Debian Etch using
gcj, could you please send me the Makefile that you
used.

Thanks for any advice,
Amos Batto
www.runasimipi.org