On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Lars Kruse wrote:

>> Now consider what happens if we have two modified files - file_1.po and
>> file_2.po - in our Pootle project.
>>
>> The user attempts to update file_1.po.
>>
>> Pootle:
>> 1. loads file_1.po into memory,
>> 2. reverts file_1.po to the version that was checked out from the
>> version control repository,
>> 3. updates file_1.po from the version control repository,
>
> just a note: I think, for mercurial/git/bzr/darcs this causes an update
> of the whole working copy (not just a single file).

"git checkout $file" can reset a file to the last-in-git version on a
per-file basis.  I think "hg revert" and "bzr revert" do the same there.

>> 4. BREAKS
>>
>> This won't work, because file_2.po is modified; making it impossible to
>> reliably pull new revisions from the version control repository.
>
> I am not sure, if I fully understand the problem.
> Do distributed VCS really have a problem to run an update, if the local
> working
> copy contains modified files?

Not that I've seen.  I'd appreciate more examples in this discussion, like
the one you gave that shows it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Furthermore, this issue isn't strictly related to DVCSs, I think.  Doesn't
conflict2suggest.py handle this in the general case?

(BTW: Hi all, I'm new to the list.  I'm working on internationalization at
Creative Commons and spending a lot of time lately talking to Wil Clouser
of Mozilla on #pootle, where my nick is paulproteus.)

-- Asheesh.

--
Go ahead... make my day.
                -- Dirty Harry