Hi Asheesh,

> >> Now consider what happens if we have two modified files - file_1.po and
> >> file_2.po - in our Pootle project.
> >>
> >> The user attempts to update file_1.po.
> >>
> >> Pootle:
> >> 1. loads file_1.po into memory,
> >> 2. reverts file_1.po to the version that was checked out from the
> >> version control repository,
> >> 3. updates file_1.po from the version control repository,
> >
> > just a note: I think, for mercurial/git/bzr/darcs this causes an update
> > of the whole working copy (not just a single file).
>
> "git checkout $file" can reset a file to the last-in-git version on a
> per-file basis.  I think "hg revert" and "bzr revert" do the same there.

ups - my comment was a little bit ambiguous.
Yes - revert/checkout does a file-based reset.
But for hg/bzr/darcs/git/cvs (i.e. all except svn) this revert is followed by a
directory-based "update" in the current translate-toolkit code.
I just wanted to point out, that during step (3) the file "file_2.po" is also
merged with the current state in the VCS upstream repository. I am not sure, if
that was important for Wynand's example.

> >> 4. BREAKS
> >>
> >> This won't work, because file_2.po is modified; making it impossible to
> >> reliably pull new revisions from the version control repository.
> >
> > I am not sure, if I fully understand the problem.
> > Do distributed VCS really have a problem to run an update, if the local
> > working copy contains modified files?
>
> Not that I've seen.  I'd appreciate more examples in this discussion, like
> the one you gave that shows it doesn't seem to be a problem.
>
> Furthermore, this issue isn't strictly related to DVCSs, I think.  Doesn't
> conflict2suggest.py handle this in the general case?

I lost you here: could you point me to this conflict2suggest.py?

regards,
Lars