On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:56:14 +0200
Ihar Hrachyshka <ihar.hrachys...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 00:39 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > > Quoting Amos Jeffries (squ...@treenet.co.nz):

> > > This is indeed the first time I hear about ISO-3066.
> > >
> > > As one of the iso-codes maintainers, I know about ISO-15924,
> > > which is meant to be a standard for script names. We include it
> > > in the package since October 2007. Reference is
> > > http://unicode.org/iso15924/
> >
> > Ah thanks. Good to know.
> >

> > > Example entry in the XML file we provide:
> > >
> > >         <iso_15924_entry
> > >                 alpha_4_code="Cyrl"
> > >                 numeric_code="220"
> > >                 name="Cyrillic" />
> > >         <iso_15924_entry
> > >                 alpha_4_code="Cyrs"
> > >                 numeric_code="221"
> > >                 name="Cyrillic (Old Church Slavonic variant)" />
> > > .../...
> > >         <iso_15924_entry
> > >                 alpha_4_code="Latn"
> > >                 numeric_code="215"
> > >                 name="Latin" />
> > >

> > > These examples use your own example. Note that the alpha4 code is
> > > indeed the same.
> > >
> > > I'd say that ISO-15924 seems to be an evolution of 3066 or
> > > something like this.
> >
> > I guess so. I only found the ISO-3066 code this week in some fairly
> > old university language papers about Serbian/Croatian alphabet
> > splits.
> >

> > > WRT your general message, I agree that using ISO 15924 codes in
> > > locale names would be a great progress over the current hacks
> > > implemented in various ways (zh_CN vs. zh_TW as a hack between
> > > Simplified and Traditional Chinese....or "Hans" vs. "Hant", or
> > > variants for Serbian, or probably others I don't know about).
> > >

> > So far I know of Chinese and Serbian for certain, with hints
> > indicating Azerbaijan and Croatian will need it in future as well.
>
> ...and Belarusian Latin is assigned to "b...@latin" in glibc (IIRC
> Serbian uses '@Latn' tag for the same thing). Actually, these locale
> 'variants' don't have good support in different l10n software (f.e.
> Rosetta doesn't know about their existance at all).

Poolte uses glibc locale's and supports codes like b...@latin, they're
inconsistently used for other types of variations like c...@valencia but
the good news is they work fine with our tools
(check http://pootle.locamotion.org/c...@valencia/ for example).

I'm not sure I understood the issues Amos is facing, how much of it is
solved by using s...@latin?

cheers,
Alaa