sounds like Mysql Database was created with a wrong default encoding.
we thought Django took care of setting up mysql tables as UTF-8 but
turns out it doesn't so you have to specify the encoding while creating
the database.

for example when you create the mysql database you should use this
syntax;

CREATE DATABASE pootle CHARACTER SET utf8;

cheers,
Alaa