WELCOME TO IWPR'S TRIBUNAL UPDATE No. 468, 15 September, 2006

THE RIGHT TO DEFEND ONESELF  Is it right to impose a defence lawyer on a
defendant who insists he can represent himself?  By Katy Glassborow in The Hague

COURTSIDES:

SESELJ CALLS COURT A "THEATRICAL PRODUCTION"  Serbian ultra-nationalist leader
puts on a show at his latest court appearance.  By Katy Glassborow in The Hague

CROATIA ACCUSED OF REPEATING HISTORY IN KRAJINA  Martic witness says the
Croatian government of the early Nineties continued what the Ustasha regime had
started decades before.  By Merdijana Sadovic in Sarajevo

US BEHIND SACKING OF TOP BOSNIAN CROATS  Former American ambassador testifies
on the United States' role in reining in Croat paramilitaries in war-torn
Bosnia.  By Caroline Tosh in The Hague

BRIEFLY NOTED:

JOURNALIST CHARGED WITH CONTEMPT OF COURT

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN BABIC PATHOLOGY REPORT

****************** VISIT IWPR ON-LINE: www.iwpr.net ***************

INTRODUCTION TO THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT Available at
http://iwpr.net/?apc_state=henotri&s=o&o=tribunal_icc_00.html

RSS: http://www.iwpr.net/en/tri/rss.xml

FREE SUBSCRIPTION. Readers are urged to subscribe to IWPR's full range of
electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

****************** VISIT IWPR ON-LINE: www.iwpr.net ***************

THE RIGHT TO DEFEND ONESELF

Is it right to impose a defence lawyer on a defendant who insists he can
represent himself?

By Katy Glassborow in The Hague

The Hague tribunal's recent decision to impose a defence lawyer on Serbian
ultra-nationalist leader Vojislav Seselj against his wishes has raised many
questions about the right of defendants to choose how they are represented in
court.

In an August 21 ruling, the trial judges said that allowing Seselj to conduct
his own defence could "substantially and persistently obstruct the proper and
expeditious conduct of a fair trial", and at the end of the month announced
that his new permanent defence lawyer would be David Hooper from London.

Seselj did not take the news well. At a status conference on September 14, he
said, "this man with a bird's nest on his head has been fraudulently introduced
as my defence counsel.

"In this theatrical production, you have denied me my right to represent
myself.  You have brought actors here to represent me, and you are acting in
contravention of my human rights."

The trial judges' decision to impose counsel indicates that in applying the
principle of ensuring that justice is done by means of a fair trial, they saw
room for interpretation when it came to the right of the accused to defend his
or her own case.

Seselj was indicted in February 2003 on charges relating to war crimes
allegedly committed in Bosnia and Croatia between 1991 and 1993. He turned
himself in to the tribunal shortly afterwards, and when he first appeared
before Hague judges on February 26, 2003, he announced his intention to conduct
his own defence.

The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, ICCPR, the principal
human rights treaty which is knitted into the tribunal's statute, states that
every accused person has the right to represent him or herself in a court of
law.

The key wording in the tribunal's statute is that the accused has the right to
"defend himself in person or through legal assistance of his own choosing...and
to have legal assistance assigned to him in any case where the interests of
justice so require".

This right is qualified if the court decides that the accused cannot represent
himself effectively, or that he risks damaging his health or greatly hampering
the speed of the trial.

But there is also debate in legal circles about whether the right to
self-representation can be restricted under other circumstances, as in the case
of Seselj, where the argument is that the move is justified because the
defendant has been rude, offensive and obstructionist in his dealings with the
tribunal.

There is no doubt that Seselj is capable of conducting his own defence.
However, the court believes his behaviour - ranging from participating in a
Serbian election campaign while in detention, to a string of offensive missives
to the court - is sufficiently obstructive to warrant his exclusion from the
role.

MILOSEVIC PRECEDENT CENTRED ON HEALTH, NOT BEHAVIOUR

Most of those who come before the tribunal stand accused of perpetrating grave
war crimes and crimes against humanity, so mounting their own defence would be
a huge undertaking. Disputes over self-representation have therefore been a
relatively rare problem, as most accused have preferred to leave their cases to
lawyers qualified to deal with the technical complexities.

At the tribunal, the issue featured most prominently in the case of former
Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic, who was on trial from 2001 until his
death in custody in March this year.

>From the very beginning, Milosevic made it clear he wanted to run his own
>case, and although he was legally proficient enough to do so, the judges felt
>his health was suffering as a result and that he could not withstand the
>rigours of trial work and courtroom confrontations.

In December 2004, the appeals chamber suggested that that he would only be fit
to defend himself if the hearing schedule was reduced to one day a week, or one
day a month, and that this implied that the trial would effectively grind to a
halt. In view of the delays caused by Milosevic's ill-health, appeals chamber
judges therefore imposed Steven Kay QC and Gillian Higgins as Milosevic's
counsel and instructed them to take the lead in conducting his defence.

However, after Milosevic appealed, he was restored to the helm of his case, but
the assigned lawyers were kept in place with the right to continue playing an
active role in conducting the defence.

This was possible because even though Milosevic openly questioned the validity
of the tribunal, he still played along with most of the rules. Anton Nikiforov,
spokesman for the Tribunal prosecutor, acknowledged that Milosevic was
preparing in a responsible manner and was not obstructing court processes. He
followed procedure and accepted help from the registry, although he said he
neither respected or recognised the court.

That is not the case with Seselj.

According to Nikiforov, the record to date means that "we are sure Seselj would
wreck the process and make it impossible to conduct fair and dignified
proceedings respectful to the court, court staff, prosecution and witnesses".

DEFENCE RIGHT "NOT ABSOLUTE"

The Seselj dispute has raged ever since 2003, when the prosecution first filed
a motion to appoint a defence counsel because of Seselj's obstructionist
behaviour.

Seselj wrote a submission appealing against this decision, saying it
contravened his rights under the tribunal statute, the European Convention on
Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, and the ICCPR. But the prosecution
maintained that according to the court's jurisprudence, the right to self
defence is "not absolute".

Following the court's latest ruling, Tjarda van der Spoel, the standby counsel
appointed to temporarily oversee Seselj's defence, wrote to the court on August
25 requesting an appeal. Even though Seselj was refusing to speak to him, Van
der Spoel pointed out to judges that the accused had made it abundantly clear
that he wished to conduct his own defence.

In a statement to the court, Van der Spoel said that Seselj was adamant that
his legal expertise and personal knowledge of events leave him "best placed to
present his case". Any infringement of the fundamental right to self
representation may "significantly affect the fair and expeditious conduct of
proceedings and the potential outcome of the trial", added the lawyer.

Most significantly, Van der Spoel suggested that the decision affected the
overall fairness of the trial and would thus offer grounds for an appeal,
should Seselj be convicted.

While accepting this move to appeal, the judges underlined that their ruling
was lawful. And the senior lawyer for the prosecution, Hildegard
Uertz-Retzlaff, said "the decision is consistent with the tribunal's
jurisprudence and practice as well as with international and domestic case law".

A QUESTION OF DEGREE?

The question of whether the presumptive right to self-representation is
qualified or absolute therefore seems to be a matter of interpretation.

Justice Richard Goldstone, who has served as chief prosecutor at the former
Yugoslav and Rwandan tribunals, told IWPR that the right is not an unlimited
one and can be withdrawn if abused, but he stressed that an accused's right to
defend himself should only be curtailed when this is necessary "to ensure
effective trials".

He said justice cannot be defeated or the rights of victims compromised by
allowing the accused to behave disruptively.

If the accused disrupts proceedings, he should be given "warnings and
opportunities, and could be given closed-circuit television in his cell and he
can either watch the trial or not", said Goldstone.

Mark Ellis, the executive director of the International Bar Association, agreed
that the right to defend oneself is not absolute. There are times when the
court has the authority to "limit the defendant's perceived right to
self-representation", he added.

However, William A. Schabas, director of the Irish Centre for Human Rights,
told IWPR that he could not accept the argument that because exceptions to the
rule are recognised, it becomes permissible to "restrict the right to self
defence on other grounds such as medical problems of the accused, or if the
accused is a political leader, or if the trial is complex".

DEFINING BAD BEHAVIOUR

So how do judges go about deciding what amounts to "serious misbehaviour" that
warrants restriction of the right to defend oneself?

In around 200 written submissions to the court, Seselj has used offensive
language in reference to judges and court officials, including the various
standby lawyers he has been allocated in the past. He has attacked these
individuals' professionalism, ethnicity, appearance and personality, and the
court's Registry has rejected 10 of the submissions solely because of their
"obscene or otherwise offensive language".

Seselj has misled the court about the treatment he has received in detention,
claiming that he had been waiting for months for an operation and that this
amounted to torture. A United Nations Detention Unit investigation proved the
claim to have been untrue, but Seselj went on to allege that at least four
detainees had died due to deliberately inadequate medical assistance, and that
the same fate awaited him.

The court also dismissed as "frivolous and obstructionist behaviour" Seselj's
decision to reject a laptop computer supplied to him to help him prepare his
case. He said he was afraid of receiving an electric shock from it.

Nonetheless Schabas argues that the court needs to tolerate a certain level of
challenging behaviour from defendants. Milosevic, for example, engaged in
deliberate political posturing during his trial.

SCORING POLITICAL POINTS

The complicating factor for trials at the tribunal and other war crimes courts
is that they attract so much international attention.

If an accused person represents himself at a time when he retains a public
profile, the publicity may be to his advantage - a result which Kay points out
would be neither intended nor desired by the court.

However, Kay does not agree with overarching political restraints, and said
that the accused should be able to campaign and participate in political
parties, otherwise it is "a denial of free speech".

Seselj breached the terms of his detention, for example by participating in
press conferences about upcoming Serbian elections in 2003. But if he were
found to be in contempt and excluded from court, might this not play favourably
with his supporters back home?

Similarly, if the Iraqi Special Tribunal had not been able to curtail former
president Saddam Hussein's right to represent himself, the series of trials he
now faces could have descended into chaos.

Ellis said that when a defendant views the judicial process as a political
opportunity and disrupts proceedings, the execution of justice is weakened.

In Justice Goldstone's view, "One cannot exclude politics, but [one] also
cannot turn the proceedings into a political battle."

This argument was often used against Milosevic, but Schabas believes the former
president was within his rights by offering a vigorous defence and raising
political issues.

"This is the price you pay when you put the president of a country on trial. It
is a highly political undertaking. Some people got angry about him making
speeches, but this is his right and we have to live with that," said Schabas.

OTHER OPTIONS

If the accused chooses to exercise his right to defend himself but remains
uncooperative, the court has a number of options.

It could impose certain limitations such as preventing the accused from
cross-examining a particular witness if it is felt his behaviour would be
inappropriate.

It could ultimately send the defendant out of the courtroom, since the accused
cannot be permitted to direct proceedings. Yet this might give prosecutors an
unfair advantage.

Another option, used in the Milosevic trial, is to assign an "amicus curiae".
Literally "friend of the court", this position is an advisory one, designed to
fill the gap between allowing self-representation and imposing a defence
lawyer. The accused is allowed to represent himself and maintain ownership of
the case, but is bolstered by an advisor.

Steven Kay QC was assigned amicus curiae for Milosevic and served in the role
for three years before being made assigned defence counsel. He told IWPR that
the amicus curiae route was a non-confrontational way of trying to ensure a
fair trial, and as such was a "revolutionary move in terms of international
jurisprudence".

He recalled how at Milosevic's request he appeal against his appointment as
assigned defence counsel. "We appealed our own position, so that anyone looking
back at the case would see it as fair and that we strove to represent the views
of the client. If we hadn't, who would have?" said Kay.

This process gained respect from external watchdogs, and Ellis acknowledged
that even though it was a difficult process, he gives credit to the tribunal
for "trying to create a mechanism that would balance the interests of the court
and give the defendant the opportunity to direct his case".

Milosevic was capable of running his own case but he needed help with
litigation. "The fairest way was brining in an outside component," said Kay.

A "FRIEND" FOR SESELJ?

To date, the judges have not proposed an amicus curiae as a possible solution
in the Seselj case.

The method was relatively successful for Milosevic because he was cooperative
up to a point. But Justice Goldstone questions whether the route is worth
pursuing with an accused who refuses to play by any rules.

According to Ellis, there was "no likelihood that he was going to cooperate at
all", so the only option was to impose counsel.

However, there is no guarantee, either, that Seselj will cooperate with Hooper,
his assigned counsel. When Hooper seeks instruction from him, he may remain
obstructive and the same problem will arise.

During the September 14 status conference, he interrupted Presiding Judge
Alphons Orie, saying, "I will never speak to Hooper or any other spy of yours
who denies me my right to represent myself. I am a calm and balanced person,
but until you restore my right to represent myself, I will not participate in
proceedings."

TRIAL IN ABSENTIA

If Seselj continues to misbehave, the court could charge him with contempt,
exclude him, and conduct his trial in absentia.

This is generally not a preferred option at the tribunal, as its statute
explicitly states that the accused has a right to be present at trial.

According to Nikiforov, the rules say that if the accused is behaving badly,
"he will be removed from the courtroom and can participate through his defence
counsel".

Nikiforov said that the prosecution would be happy with such an outcome, and he
argued that this would not be a trial in absentia in the classic sense, where
the indicted person is tried without having been arrested and placed in
custody.

In this case, the trial could move forward as long as the defendant was able to
follow proceedings via closed-circuit television and get access to records.

"An accused should have the right to commit judicial suicide if he leaves his
lawyers with no clear instruction, but ultimately he decides," concluded
Schabas.

At this week's status conference, Seselj himself asked to leave the courtroom,
saying, "Mr Orie, would you order the guards to escort me out?"

FUNDAMENTALLY UNFAIR?

One of the reasons Seselj's standby counsel gave for appealing against the
assignation of permanent defence counsel was that he would be able to cite the
decision in any appeal against a verdict.

Yet if the defendant is responsible for his own failure to participate in the
trial, and has forced the court to impose counsel, then his grounds for appeal
may falter.

It is for this reason that Schabas insists that the defendant's right to make
decisions about his defence amounts to a cornerstone principle.

"If you don't allow the defendant to exercise his right to defend himself, or
instruct counsel and control their case, who will take that decision? Who then
decides whether to plead guilty or not? If it is out of the hands of the
defendant, and the lawyers take the decision, this is fundamentally unfair,"
said Schabas.

At the status conference this week, Judge Orie announced that the trial would
start at the beginning of November.

Katy Glassborow is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

COURTSIDES:

SESELJ CALLS COURT A "THEATRICAL PRODUCTION"

Serbian ultra-nationalist leader puts on a show at his latest court appearance.

By Katy Glassborow in The Hague

Journalists and members of the public who squeezed into the tiny public gallery
of the Hague tribunal's Courtroom Two had a ringside seat this week for another
signature performance from Serbian Radical Party leader Vojislav Seselj.

Seselj - famous for the obscene language and insults he hurls at the court -
referred to the defence lawyer whom trial judges had assigned to him as "that
man with the bird's nest on his head" and was sent out at his own request
shortly after the status conference started.

Before leaving, Seselj described the court as a "theatrical production" which
had "denied me my right to represent myself".

"You have brought actors here to represent me, and you are acting in
contravention of my human rights," he said.

Seselj's regular outbursts and vitriolic written submissions to the court - at
last count there were around 200 - have caused outrage and amusement in equal
measure amongst those who monitor tribunal proceedings.

When Seselj was testifying as a defence witness for the late Yugoslav president
Slobodan Milosevic in 2005, prosecutor Geoffrey Nice requested that he read one
particularly vulgar submission aloud in court.

The footage of Seselj doing so was broadcast on Serbia's B-92 television
channel, and gained infamy after it became available as an audio clip on the
internet. It was even downloaded as a ring-tone for mobile phones in Serbia and
Montenegro.

The September 14 status conference was designed to work through all the
prosecution and defence issues ahead of the start of the trial, which Presiding
Judge Alphons Orie announced would begin in early November.

Since the beginning of proceedings, Seselj has claimed the right under
international law to represent himself and manage his own defence. However, in
August the trial judges assigned him a permanent defence counsel because of his
rude outbursts and uncooperative behaviour - an attitude still apparent at this
week's status conference.

Early on, Seselj interrupted Judge Orie, saying, "You are duty bound to stay
the proceedings until you deal with the motion I submitted this morning to
dismiss Judge Orie."

The judge reminded Seselj that the court can only deal with submissions filed
through the proper channels, in this case his newly assigned lawyer David
Hooper.

Seselj replied, "Hooper will never be able to do anything on my behalf",
adding, "He has no right to represent me."

He then asked the judge to order the guards to escort him out of the courtroom.

The conference continued without Seselj, with Judge Orie hearing prosecution
and defence arguments on various issues including when the identities of
protected witnesses should be revealed to the defence, and how necessary such
protection really was.

Normally the defence learns the identity of protected witnesses around 30 days
ahead of the trial, but the prosecution is seeking a delay to disclosure in
this case.

In the past, Seselj has revealed the identity of protected witnesses over the
phone to people outside the court, who then threatened to harm the individuals
concerned.

Comparing Seselj's case with that of Milosevic - where disclosure of witnesses
occurred 10 days before the start of the trial - prosecution lawyer Hildegard
Uertz-Retzlaff said, "Delayed disclosure is perfectly acceptable in this case."

She told the court that a delicate balance needs to be struck to avoid exposing
witnesses to risk, and that the date needed to be moved closer to the trial
start in view of the security concerns.

Hooper told the court that the prosecution's reasons for wanting such stringent
measures had not been included in any submissions or explained to the court.

Uertz-Retzlaff explained that stating why each witness needed to be protected
would necessitate revealing their identity.

Judge Orie gave the prosecution team five days to review whether their
witnesses really did need protective measures and to justify why.

Attention then turned to the issue of streamlining the indictments.

Seselj was indicted in February 2003 on 14 counts of crimes against humanity
and violations of the laws or customs of war for his alleged actions in Bosnia
and Croatia between 1991 and 1993. It was amended in July 2005.

After lessons learnt during the lengthy trial of Milosevic, the judges tried to
encourage prosecuters to cut some charges so as to expedite proceedings.

However, Uertz-Retzlaff suggested that the indictment had already been
streamlined adequately. She said the situation in each of the nine
municipalities where Seselj is accused of either instigating or personally
committing crimes is unique.

"We have only charged Seselj with a few offences per municipality, so we do not
want to drop a municipality because we would lose whole chapters of criminal
conduct," said the prosecution lawyer.

The prosecution estimates that the trial will last for six months, based on a
five-day week with four hours of evidence a day.

Both the prosecution and Judge Orie asked whether Hooper - who requested a
four-day week - could cope with such an intense start to the trial as he will
have only six weeks to prepare the defence case.

Reverting back to the issue of Seselj's wish to represent himself, Hooper asked
Judge Orie whether the accused could conduct additional cross-examination of
witnesses.

The judge explained that he would need to hear why it was necessary for Seselj
to take over his own defence, and said the chamber would not allow the accused
to personally conduct cross-examinations if he did not go through Hooper.

Katy Glassborow is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

CROATIA ACCUSED OF REPEATING HISTORY IN KRAJINA

Martic witness says the Croatian government of the early Nineties continued
what the Ustasha regime had started decades before.

By Merdijana Sadovic in Sarajevo

The trial of the former leader of the rebel Serb authorities in Croatia, Milan
Martic, heard a grueling history lesson on Croatia's fascist Ustasha regime
during the Second World War, whose actions were engraved in the collective Serb
memory for decades.

A defence witness said these painful memories were the main reason why Serbs in
Krajina put up resistance to the new Croatian government and declared
themselves independent in 1991, a few weeks before Croatia broke away from
Yugoslavia to become a separate state.

Martic, president of the self-proclaimed Serbian Autonomous District of Krajina
during the 1991-95 war, is charged with leading local police and other armed
forces in the expulsion and murder of hundreds of non-Serbs.

He is also accused of the deliberate destruction of homes and other public and
private property, and unlawful attacks on Zagreb in 1995.

The prosecution has tried to prove that Martic, backed by the Yugoslav Army,
JNA, and the Belgrade authorities, was responsible for the outbreak of violence
in Croatia.

His defence lawyers have claimed it was the other way around, and that the
Krajina Serbs were only defending themselves. This week, they brought in Lazar
Macura, Krajina government's first information minister, to support that
argument.

Macura said the 1991 rebellion in Krajina was justified by Serb fears that
"history would repeat itself" once Croatia became an independent state. He told
the judges that the new Croatian government led by President Franjo Tudjman,
shared the same goal as the Ustasha regime in the Second World War - to reduce
the number of Serbs in Croatia to "only three per cent of the total population".

His testimony echoed that given by his successor Ratko Licina, the information
minister in the "Krajina government-in-exile", who testified one month earlier.

Like Licina, Macura insisted Krajina Serbs were so traumatised by what they
went through under the Nazi-supported Ustasha government that they were
prepared to do anything to avoid suffering the same fate in the Nineties.

Macura said that shortly before the outbreak of violence in 1991, Serb
policemen in Krajina "refused to wear police uniforms with Ustasha insignia on
them", referring to the Croatian checquered coat of arms.

When the prosecutor David Black pointed out in his cross-examination that this
symbol "was not invented by the Ustashas" and had been a national emblem for
centuries, the witness appeared unmoved.

"Maybe, but it was the same symbol Ustashas were wearing on their uniforms
while they were killing Serbs in World War Two," he replied.

Throughout his testimony, the witness claimed that the Croatian authorities in
the Nineties never sought to reach any agreement with Serbs.

"All they did was to send their police and army to kill us," he said.

During cross-examination by the prosecution, the witness confirmed his earlier
statements that "all Serbs should live in one state" and said this was still
his position.

He also stated that Serbs in Krajina "never inflicted any harm on Croats".

"During this last war, I mean - not the Second World War," he added.

When at the end of his testimony Judge Frank Hopfel asked Macura whether he was
still actively involved in politics, he said he was not and now works as an
interpreter.

"The reason I ask is that you still sound very much like a politician to me,"
said Judge Hopfel.

The trial continues next week.

Merdijana Sadovic is IWPR's Hague project manager.

US BEHIND SACKING OF TOP BOSNIAN CROATS

Former American ambassador testifies on the United States' role in reining in
Croat paramilitaries in war-torn Bosnia.

By Caroline Tosh in The Hague

A former United States ambassador to Croatia revealed this week that it was
American pressure that led to the removal of two senior Bosnian Croats during
the 1992-94 Muslim-Croat conflict that was part of the wider Bosnian war.

Speaking at the war crimes trial of six Bosnian Croat officials, former
ambassador Peter Galbraith testified that his government pressured the
authorities in Croatia to secure the dismissal of Slobodan Praljak, the
military commander of Bosnian Croat forces, HVO, and Mate Boban, the then
president of the wartime entity of Herceg-Bosna.

The six accused - Jadranko Prlic, Bruno Stojic, Slobodan Praljak, Milivoj
Petkovic, Valentin Coric and Berislav Pusic - were senior political and
military figures in Herceg-Bosna. They are charged with war crimes and crimes
against humanity, including the persecution, imprisonment and expulsion of
Muslims in Bosnia and Hercegovina during the bitter Croatian-Muslim conflict
which ended 12 years ago.

They are also accused of being part of a "joint criminal enterprise to
politically and militarily subjugate, permanently remove and ethnically cleanse
Bosnian Muslims and other non-Croats" from parts of Bosnia that was claimed as
part of Herceg-Bosna, and "to join these areas as part of a Greater Croatia".

The indictments says that others involved in this joint criminal enterprise
included the former president of Croatia Franjo Tudman, former Croatian defence
minister Gojko Susak, and Mate Boban, who was president of Herceg-Bosna. All
three are now deceased.

This week, Galbraith testified that soon after taking up the role of ambassador
in Zagreb in June 1993, he became aware of the reports of atrocities by HVO
forces against Muslims in Bosnia, and began to exert pressure on Tudjman, Susak
and Croatian foreign minister Mate Granic to take action against the HVO.

The former diplomat, who previously testified at the trials of the late
Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic and Milan Martic, a Serb leader in
Croatia, explained that he and the US government "came to the conclusion that
we were not going to get the results we wanted as long as Praljak remained head
of the HVO and Boban remained president of Herceg-Bosna".

Galbraith explained that by "results", he meant securing the passage of
humanitarian convoys into Bosnia, the closure of HVO prison camps, and an end
to the shelling of east Mostar and to the entire Croat-Muslim conflict.

In meetings with Tudjman, Susak and Granic, Galbraith recalled how he "tried to
secure removal" of Boban and Praljak from their positions, while making clear
the US government's "scepticism that there would be any progress while they
were in office".

These discussions soon bore fruit, he said, when "the government of Croatia
secured their dismissals". Praljak was replaced in November 1993 and Boban
stepped down in February 1994.

Galbraith went on to explain that in December 1993, he was asked by Granic
whether Boban could be issued a visa for "an extended vacation in the US".

A visa proved impossible to arrange, because Boban had been entered into the US
border control system as a war crimes suspect. Instead, the ambassador secured
him an Australian visa.

"I remember saying that I hoped it was a one-way ticket," he said.

When pressed by one of the judges to say exactly who arranged the dismissal of
Boban, Galbraith confirmed that he was "removed by the order or decision of
Franjo Tudjman, the president of Croatia".

Galbraith testified that after Boban was forced out, American pressure on the
Zagreb authorities resulted in a "house-cleaning" exercise which saw all HVO
commanders and 70 per cent of the government being replaced.

This, he said, "created the environment" in which Croatia accepted the peace
proposals which led to the Washington agreement - a  peace deal negotiated in
March 1994 between the Bosnian government and the Bosnian Croats that created
the Federation of Bosnia Hercegovina.

Earlier in his testimony, Galbraith claimed that during the conflict, Tudjman
was just as much the president of the Herceg-Bosna entity as he was of the
Republic of Croatia, and had ultimate control of both the HVO and Croatia's
regular army.

"I think every diplomat, except the most oblivious, clearly understood that
Tudjman and Susak controlled the Bosnian Croat entity and the HVO," he said.

In 1993, the first year of his tenure as ambassador, Galbraith said he "tried
to influence Tudjman" and often raised concerns with him and Susak about what
was happening in Croatia. His concerns regarded the HVO and their blocking of
humanitarian aid convoys in Bosnia, the imprisonment of Muslims in detention
camps where rapes and forced labour took place, and shelling of east Mostar.

When asked what Tudjman's reactions were when he brought up the subject of
atrocities, Galbraith said the president would sometimes argue that "terrible
things are taking place, but the other side is doing it too", or he would say
he would try to do something about it, claiming the HVO leadership "was out of
control".

The witness gave a fascinating insight into the mind of Tudjman and his
obsession with creating what Galbraith termed "a great greater Croatia" by
carving up and appending parts of neighbouring Bosnia.

Tudjman "believed BiH [Bosnia and Hercegovina] could not or should not continue
as a sovereign independent state and that a substantial part of Bosnian
territory should become territory of Croatia", Galbraith said.

The Croatian leader never gave up on this obsession, he said, and kept trying
to convert him to his way of thinking, despite being aware of the US position
that everyone must accept "the borders of the [former Yugoslav] states as they
had emerged in 1991", the year the country imploded.

First to cross-examine Galbraith on his testimony was Praljak, who is
conducting his own defence.

The former theatre director, dubbed "The Beard" due to his thick white facial
hair, conducted a dramatic cross-examination. In a mocking tone, he commended
Galbraith on his "great eloquence", before demanding to know what information
he had that Praljak, as the former leader of the HVO, was "doing bad things".

Galbraith simply answered, "You were the commander of the HVO." He then went on
to list a catalogue of abuses for which the HVO was allegedly responsible,
including the obstruction of humanitarian convoys into Bosnia, the shelling of
the east Mostar, the killing of large numbers of Muslim civilians, and the
detention of others in inhumane conditions.

"Rapes took place in HVO camps, and you were in charge of this," he concluded.

The trial continues.

Caroline Tosh is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

BRIEFLY NOTED:

JOURNALIST CHARGED WITH CONTEMPT OF COURT

The Hague tribunal has charged a Croatian journalist with contempt of court for
revealing the identities of two protected witnesses in a war crimes trial.

Domagoj Margetic, a freelancer from Croatia, is accused of revealing the names
of witnesses who testified under protective measures in the trial of the
Bosnian Croat general Tihomir Blaskic.

In a September 11 statement, the tribunal said "he did so by publishing lists
on his personal website between July 7 and August 2, despite receiving explicit
advance warning that the material was confidential and subject to court orders
which prohibited publication".

It added that Margetic "undermines confidence in the tribunal's ability to
grant effective protective measures" and that in committing these acts, he
"interfered with witnesses who have given, or are about to give, evidence".

This is not the first time Margetic has appeared before the Tribunal. He was
previously indicted for publishing Croatian president Stjepan Mesic's secret
testimony in the Blaskic case in the Croatian weekly, Novo Hrvatsko Slovo, of
which he was editor.

Chief prosecutor Carla Del Ponte withdrew the indictment, along with that of
two others charged with revealing Mesic's identity, in June this year, "in the
interest of justice and judicial economy".

The tribunal last month fined the former editor Josip Jovic 20,000 euro for
revealing Mesic's identity and publishing his testimony from the Blaskic trial.

In 2000, Blaskic was sentenced to 45 years in prison for crimes committed by
forces under his command in Bosnia in 1993. His sentence was dramatically cut
to nine years on appeal, but prosecutors have since attempted to reopen the
case in light of new witness testimony.

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN BABIC PATHOLOGY REPORT

A second pathology report into the apparent suicide of Milan Babic, the former
Serb leader in Croatia, appears to leave questions unanswered about the
circumstances surrounding his death.

Babic, who was serving a 13-year sentence in the Hague tribunal's detention
unit and had become a key insider witness for the prosecution, committed
suicide in his cell on March 5 this year.

The report fails to explain why the mark on his neck was narrower than the belt
he reportedly used to hang himself.

Despite the discrepancy, Judge Kevin Parker, the tribunal vice-president who
headed the internal inquiry into Babic's death, said the findings of his
original investigation should not be changed.

On June 8, Judge Parker said that Babic had hanged himself with a leather belt
and secured a plastic bag around his neck to restrict airflow to his mouth and
nose. His findings noted that the width of the ligature mark was narrower than
the belt used by Babic, and said that the Netherlands Forensic Institute would
give "further consideration" to the possible causes.

Suggestions for the difference had included the possibility that the damaged
skin dried out after death, or that embalming fluid had caused a shrinking
effect.

But the September 8 report shed little light on the matter. It concluded that
further analysis had failed to explain the cause, and that the experts involved
in the post-mortem failed to agree on an explanation.

Judge Parker concluded by saying that he thought that no further action by the
tribunal was called for.

Babic, former president of the self-proclaimed Serb entity in eastern Croatia,
known as Krajina, pleaded guilty in January 2004 to murder, deportation and
unlawful imprisonment of non-Serb civilians from the area.

He also agreed to give evidence in other war crimes trials before the tribunal,
and at the time of his death, he was testifying against Milan Martic, another
former high-level Serb official from Krajina.

He also testified against the late Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic, who
died of a heart attack in the tribunal detention centre just six days after
Babic.

****************** VISIT IWPR ON-LINE: www.iwpr.net ****************

These weekly reports, produced since 1996, detail events and issues at the
International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, ICTY, at The Hague.

Tribunal Update, produced by IWPR's human rights and media training project,
seeks to contribute to regional and international understanding of the war
crimes prosecution process.

The opinions expressed in Tribunal Update are those of the authors and do not
necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

Tribunal Update is supported by the European Commission, the Dutch Ministry for
Development and Cooperation, the Swedish International Development and
Cooperation Agency, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and other funders.
IWPR also acknowledges general support from the Ford Foundation.

The Institute for War & Peace Reporting is a London-based independent
non-profit organisation supporting regional media and democratic change.

48 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal Chazan; Senior Editor:
John MacLeod; Hague Project Manager: Janet Anderson; Translation: Predrag
Brebanovic, and others.

IWPR Project Development and Support - Executive Director: Anthony Borden;
Strategy & Assessment Director: Alan Davis; Managing Director: Tim Williams.

For further information on this project and other reporting services and media
programmes, visit IWPR's website: www.iwpr.net

ISSN 1477-7940 Copyright © 2006 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

TRIBUNAL UPDATE No. 468