WELCOME TO IWPR’S TRIBUNAL UPDATE No. 538, February 15, 2008

HOW BELGRADE ESCAPED GENOCIDE CHARGE   Serbia appears to have exploited
tribunal rules to avert a genocide conviction at the International Court of
Justice.  By Slobodan Kostic in Belgrade

NGOS DEMAND TRUTH-TELLING BODY  Regional conference participants appeal for
international funding to set up organisation to research war crimes.  By
Aleksandar Roknic in Belgrade

COURTSIDE:

CLAIMS OF MUTILATION AND TORTURE IN MEDAK POCKET  Horrific details of alleged
crimes by Croatian forces revealed at trial of two Croatian army generals.  By
Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

LUKIC “NOT RESPONSIBLE” FOR KILLINGS  Witness in trial of six Serbian officials
claims former police chief did not order killings of Kosovo Albanians.  By
Marija Radovanovic in Belgrade

COURT HEARS MUJAHEDIN TOOK NO ORDERS  Former Muslim fighter says El Mujahid
unit in Bosnia had different rules from Bosnian army.  By Denis Dzidic in
Sarajevo

WITNESS SPEAKS OF CLIMATE OF FEAR IN CROATIA  Croatian Serb tells judges that
the new Croatian government “inspired horror” in Serbs.  By Simon Jennings in
The Hague

**** IWPR RESOURCES

NEW PUBLICATION: SYRIA PRESS MONITOR To find out more or subscribe to RSS feed
please go to: http://iwpr.net/syriapressmonitor.html

SAHAR JOURNALISTS’ ASSISTANCE FUND To find out more or donate please go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/sahar.html

COALITION FOR INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE (CIJ) TRIAL REPORTS ARCHIVE Milosevic and
other ICTY Trial Reports as well as Sierra Leone Reports are now available at
<http://iwpr.net/?apc_state=hen&s=c>

NOW AVAILABLE IN FRENCH: Reporting Justice: A Handbook on Covering War Crimes
Courts. Part I: http://iwpr.net/pdf/reporting_justice_p1_w_fr.pdf; Part II:
http://iwpr.net/pdf/reporting_justice_p2_w_fr.pdf

**** www.iwpr.net
electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

GIVE TO IWPR: IWPR is wholly dependent upon grants and donations. For more
information about how you can support IWPR go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/donate.html

**** www.iwpr.net

HOW BELGRADE ESCAPED GENOCIDE CHARGE

Serbia appears to have exploited tribunal rules to avert a genocide conviction
at the International Court of Justice.

By Slobodan Kostic in Belgrade

Belgrade has more than once invoked national security to stop the Hague
tribunal sharing documents related to the trial of former Yugoslav president
Slobodan Milosevic with another international court, according to well-placed
IWPR sources.

The steps taken successfully blocked the International Criminal Tribunal for
the former Yugoslavia, ICTY, from disclosing extremely sensitive transcripts of
meetings the Serbian Supreme Defence Council, SDC, held between 1992 and 1995.

It is widely believed that the transcripts, which record the meetings of top
officials, contain evidence of Belgrade’s direct involvement in the wars in
Croatia and Bosnia in the 1990s.

At the request of Belgrade’s lawyers, some parts of the SDC documents presented
at the ICTY were kept confidential.

Serbia apparently hoped that Bosnia would not then be able to use them in its
genocide case against Serbia at the International Court of Justice, ICJ.
Indeed, many Bosnians believe this confidentiality stopped Belgrade being found
guilty of committing genocide in their country in the 1990s.

Shortly after the parliament of the then federation of Serbia and Montenegro
appointed a Council of Ministers on March 17, 2003, a session of this body was
held in Podgorica, chaired by the federation’s president Svetozar Marovic, to
discuss cooperation with the tribunal.

After persistent pressure by the ICTY’s Office of the Prosecutor, OTP, the
ministers decided at this session, held in early April, to amend the existing
law on cooperation with the tribunal.

According to our sources close to the former federal administration, a
consensus was reached at the meeting on defining the scope of this cooperation,
primarily when it came to documents from military archives which had to be
handed over to the tribunal.

The Council of Ministers of Serbia and Montenegro decided it would do
everything it could to prevent the disclosure of documents that might
jeopardise national security.

“If the Council of Ministers or governments of member states conclude that
fulfilling the tribunal’s requests would jeopardise sovereignty or national
security,  the Council will order the Ministry of Foreign Affairs…to inform the
ICTY about this and to file an appeal in accordance with the tribunal’s Rules
on Procedure and Evidence,” states one article from a new law which enabled
Serbia and Montenegro to request protective measures for SDC transcripts
demanded by prosecutors for the case against Milosevic.

As a next step, said our source, a special legal team was formed within Serbia
and Montenegro’s ministry of foreign affairs, headed by Goran Svilanovic, who
was also president of the National Council for Cooperation with the Hague
Tribunal.

This group of experts was simultaneously handling three processes that were of
vital importance to the country: its cooperation with the tribunal; the
genocide cases by Bosnia and Croatia against Belgrade at the ICJ; and
Belgrade’s own lawsuit against NATO for the 1999 bombing campaign in Kosovo and
Serbia.

The team was led by Tibor Varadi, who was also Serbia and Montenegro’s legal
representative at the ICJ, and operated under Svilanovic’s supervision.
Svilanovic passed on all its internal decisions to the Council of Ministers.

In 2001, the OTP requested from Belgrade permission for their experts to
examine the state military archives. They were primarily interested in
transcripts and records from 60 meetings of the SDC held between March 12, 1993
and October 28, 1997.

However, Belgrade did not respond to those requests, fearing that these
documents would be used in Bosnia’s genocide lawsuit. According to our sources
in Serbia, Belgrade officials weren’t prepared to disclose this material until
the ICJ case was over.

Until spring 2003, Belgrade avoided handing over transcripts and records from
the SDC meetings related to the indictment against Milosevic. The OTP then
asked the trial chamber hearing Milosevic’s case to force Serbia and Montenegro
to supply the transcripts of meetings held between March 1993 and the end of
1995, when the worst crimes in Bosnia were committed.

At the beginning of June 2003, the trial chamber ordered Belgrade to submit the
SDC transcripts. However, shortly after that the representative of Serbia and
Montenegro’s government filed a motion requesting protective measures for these
documents, referring to Rule 54 bis of the tribunal’s rules on procedure and
evidence, said our sources.

Under the rule, “a State may, within fifteen days of service of the order,
apply by notice to the Judge or Trial Chamber to have the order set aside, on
the grounds that disclosure would prejudice national security interests”.

Prior to that, Chief Prosecutor Carla del Ponte stated in a letter to
Svilanovic that she would not oppose Serbia’s requests for protective measures
for certain documents, but insisted that these measures could be applied only
under “specific circumstances, and on limited parts” of the material, and that
they had to be in accordance with the tribunal’s rules.

Belgrade’s confidentiality request was granted by the trial chamber on July 30,
2003. After that, officials handed over the first set of SDC transcripts to the
prosecutor’s office. However, the prosecutors were obliged to comply with the
judges’ decision to grant confidentiality to some parts of the SDC records, as
Serbia and Montenegro’s officials requested. These records were then used in
closed session in the trial against Milosevic.

After the first decision of the trial chamber to grant protective measures to
some parts of the material relating to SDC meetings, Serbia and Montenegro
continued to request from the judges that other documents be kept confidential.
Among them were the files of the Bosnian Serb generals, including top fugitive
General Ratko Mladic, who were on the Yugoslav army’s payroll during the war.

These files were the first serious opportunity for the prosecutors to challenge
Serbia and Montenegro’s request for confidentiality, so they filed a motion
demanding that these documents be published.

The OTP asked the tribunal’s appeals chamber to reconsider the trial chamber’s
decision on confidentiality for those documents containing information on
Bosnian Serb officers.

The appeals chamber once again granted Serbia’s request to keep the military
files confidential, but it also warned that all previous rulings by the trial
chamber in which Serbia and Montenegro had referred to “protection of national
security interests” were based on a false interpretation of the tribunal’s
rules on procedure and evidence.

After that, the OTP requested that the trial chamber reverse its “decision on
request by Serbia and Montenegro for protective measures based on Rule 54 bis”.

At the beginning of December 2005, the trial chamber did so. IWPR sources told
us that only a few days later, Serbia and Montenegro’s legal representative
filed an appeal to the tribunal’s appeals chamber, citing Rule 108 bis of the
rules on procedure and evidence, which allows reconsideration of the trial
chamber’s decisions only if they are dealing with “issues of general
significance related to the tribunal’s authority”.

Milosevic was already dead when, in April 2006, five members of the tribunal’s
appeals chamber upheld Serbia’s request and decided that the minutes of the SDC
meetings could not be revealed to the public.

As a result of that decision, Bosnia was not able to use this evidence before
the ICJ in its genocide case against Serbia and Montenegro.

The ICJ, much to the anger of many Bosnian survivors who feel the case was a
whitewash, ruled that Belgrade was not guilty for the genocide committed in
Srebrenica in 1995, blaming local Serb forces instead.

Slobodan Kostic is a Belgrade journalist.

NGOS DEMAND TRUTH-TELLING BODY

Regional conference participants appeal for international funding to set up
organisation to research war crimes.

By Aleksandar Roknic in Belgrade

Rights groups say they want to create a regional body to establish precisely
how many people were killed during the Balkans wars of the 1990s.

At the third Regional Forum on Mechanisms of Truth-seeking and Truth-telling
about War Crimes Committed in the Former Yugoslavia held in Belgrade on
February 11, the Documentation and Research Centre from Sarajevo, the Centre
for Facing the Past from Zagreb, and Serbia’s Humanitarian Law Fund requested
funding from abroad to help them realise their dream.

“These recommendations should be sent immediately to national governments,
parliaments and the EU and UN institutions. This initiative will require strong
international support, because local governments will not be able to deal alone
with all the obstacles they face," said Natasa Kandic of the Humanitarian Law
Fund.

The conference heard that the region would never know lasting democracy and
peace until the full truth about the crimes was revealed.

Kandic said a full list of the war’s victims in Bosnia had been compiled, and
that the groups were now working on equivalent lists for Serbia, Montenegro,
Croatia and Kosovo.

“We will work on the list of victims from Kosovo killed after 2000, because it
is clear that this number is relevant,” she added.

 “It is very important to know what happened in Vukovar, in Prijedor, in Knin,
in Istok. The war crimes map was as big as Yugoslavia was.”

Mirsad Tokaca, from the Documentation and Research Centre in Sarajevo, said
that between 1991 and 1995 in Bosnia 97,207 people were killed - 57,523 of them
were soldiers and approximately 10,000 of them women.

He said his group had tried to ascertain the complete identity of every victim
and thus to stop speculation about the number of people killed in the war,
which can often be motivated by political reasons.

“Domestic calculations were of 150,000 to 300,000 victims. Foreign calculations
were of 25,000 to 150,000 people killed. With this research we have stopped
speculation and we upheld the dignity of the victims. It doesn’t matter whether
they were civilians or soldiers,” he said.

In clashes in Kosovo between Serbian forces and the Kosovo Liberation Army from
1998 to the end of 2000, approximately 11,000 to 14,000 people were killed.
According to the Red Cross, 2,040 people disappeared.

Sandra Orlovic, from the Humanitarian Law Fund, said that the former Yugoslav
states did not recognise the need to create a list of all the victims of the
war. However, she added that her organisation would publish a “Kosovo memory
book” in January next year.

“Up to now 4,650 witnesses and family members of the victims have spoken to our
researchers. We have the biggest problem with family members of the victims who
were policemen,” said Orlovic.

The organisers of the conference also brought in war crimes victims to speak of
their suffering to show that there were victims from every nation in Yugoslavia.

Participants heard painful accounts of how individuals had suffered in the wars
in the former Yugoslavia, when Serbs, Croats, Bosnians and Kosovo Albanians
fought over territory, often committing appalling atrocities.

Smail Durakovic from Vlasenica in Bosnia said Serbian soldiers in black
uniforms and white eagles on the black berets captured his village in 1992.
They interrogated him several times and then raped his wife in front of him,
before sending him to a camp in Susica.

Although a Serbian soldier nicknamed Car told him his wife was alive, and that
they had sent her to Kladanj and on to Germany, it turned out to be a lie.

Durakovic said his wife was murdered in September 1992, and the soldiers turned
his house into a brothel.

“Today, I live alone and I’m very ill,” he said. “I hope this will be an
example for the future and we can learn something from this experience. I know
the man who killed my wife, but I don’t want revenge.”

Aleksandar Roknic is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

COURTSIDE:

CLAIMS OF MUTILATION AND TORTURE IN MEDAK POCKET

Horrific details of alleged crimes by Croatian forces revealed at trial of two
Croatian army generals.

By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

A Zagreb war crimes court this week heard claims that Croatian soldiers
mutilated corpses and abused prisoners during the 1993 Medak Pocket operation.

The testimony was given in closed session via video link last week, but was not
revealed to the public until Judge Marin Mrcela read the transcripts out in
court.

One witness, identified only as number 15, described finding a woman dead
inside a house.

 “She was lying on the flour, naked as if she was just born. Her head was cut
off and a little separated from her body and her breasts were cut into slices.
Excuse my expression, she was cut through, from vagina to breasts,” the judge
quoted the witness as saying.

The testimony of such witnesses is central to the prosecution’s case against
Generals Mirko Norac and Rahim Ademi, who are accused of commanding Croatian
Army, HV, troops that killed prisoners and unlawfully destroyed civilian
property during the operation.

According to the original indictment, at least 29 Serb civilians were killed
and dozens more wounded in the operation, which sought to regain control of
part of Croatia held by Serb rebels. Many of the victims were women or elderly.

Of the nine protected witnesses whose evidence was read out this week, eight
now live in Serbia and one in Norway. Some of them were members of Serbian
forces, while others were from the Medak area and were called in to identify
their neighbours’ bodies.

Their statements allege mass looting, killing and torturing by HV soldiers.
Previous witnesses had spoken about such alleged crimes, but none had produced
the same level of horrific detail.

Witness number 15 went on to describe seeing how Croatian soldiers hanged a man
from a tree.

 “A few men practiced their knife throwing by throwing their knives at the man
while he was hanging,” said the testimony.

“I couldn’t tell if the man was alive or not. Later I saw how they took him
down from the tree, tied him to a car and dragged him around the village.”

Other witnesses described being beaten and abused after they were taken
prisoner. Often, they said, the torture would continue when they were taken to
prison in the towns of Gospic and Karlovac, or to the barracks in Rijeka.

“From these beatings I fell unconscious and when I came back I saw a Croatian
soldier had doused me with water. Afterwards we got beaten with bats as well,”
one witness was quoted as saying.

“At one moment a soldier and policeman entered and chased all the others out
saying to them that they mustn’t beat us.”

The defendants repeatedly interrupted Judge Mrcela’s reading of the
transcripts, saying that the Croatian forces had not behaved in that way.

After the HV took the Medak Pocket, whence Serbian artillery had shelled
Croatian positions for two years, it came under strong international pressure
to withdraw. Eventually, they agreed to hand over control to the United
Nations’ UNPROFOR troops.

This week, the court was shown video footage shot by the Reuters news agency
during UNPROFOR’s arrival in the area.

It was clear in the film that the villages had been completely destroyed. The
cameraman also filmed graphic images of the bodies of around 50 dead Serbs,
while their relatives and neighbours tried to identify them.

The film also showed how the Croatian troops had blocked the advance of the UN
force. The then UNPROFOR commander, Canadian Ove Nielsen, was shown telling
reporters that the HV would not let his troops through.

One HV officer insisted that his superior officers had to be present during the
retreat and, while arguing with UNPROFOR, mentioned Norac by name as one of the
commanders he was waiting for.

Norac told the court it was impossible that the HV officer on the film was
waiting for him “because I didn’t have jurisdiction to communicate with them
(UNPROFOR)”.

Another UNPROFOR officer, Marc Rouleau, told the camera crew that they had
clashed a few times with the Croatians when entering Medak but that no one had
died from the shooting. He also said how UNPROFOR had given the HV an ultimatum
to pull back to the agreed line or come under fire.

A third officer, who was not identified, told the camera, “We found completely
destroyed property in this area and found the remains of 10 bodies.”

He confirmed to the reporter that some of the civilians appeared to have been
executed around 24 hours before UNPROFOR entered the area.

When speaking about the destruction of property, the officer said he thought it
was planned “in the sense that it was committed before we came, absolutely, I
think they wanted to be sure that nothing would remain before we entered”.

The trial continues on February 20 this year when Nielsen should take the stand
followed by six other former UNPROFOR officers.

Goran Jungvirth is an IWPR reporter in Zagreb.

LUKIC “NOT RESPONSIBLE” FOR KILLINGS

Witness in trial of six Serbian officials claims former police chief did not
order killings of Kosovo Albanians.

By Marija Radovanovic in Belgrade

A Serb policeman said this week that his former boss was not responsible for
killing Albanian civilians or shipping their bodies out of the province.

Cedomir Sakic, a member of the Serbian interior ministry’s security unit, was
testifying in the trial of former head of the Serbian interior ministry in
Kosovo in 1998-9, Sreten Lukic.

The former police chief is accused alongside five other high-ranking officials
of war crimes, murder, persecution and seeking to drive out most of the
Albanians living in the province to ensure it remained part of Serbia.

Also on trial are former Serbian president Milan Milutinovic, former deputy
prime minister Nikola Sainovic, ex-Yugoslav army chief of staff Dragoljub
Ojdanic, and army officials Nebojsa Pavkovic and Vladimir Lazarevic.

This week, Sakic said that orders to ship Albanians’ bodies out of the province
in a refrigerated truck had not come from Lukic, as was previously stated by a
former prosecution witness.

Sakic told judges that the orders came from another officer. He also described
talking to a police officer loading the bodies into the truck, who apparently
said, “The shqiptars were killed by their own side, by NATO”, using a
derogatory expression for Albanians.

Sakic’s testimony that Lukic did not order the disposal of the bodies
contradicted that of former prosecution witness Bozidar Protic.

Sakic explained the discrepancy between their accounts was the result of a
post-war falling out between Protic and Lukic over the ownership of a flat.
Sakic claimed to have heard Protic tell the general that he would testify
against him in The Hague, and would “bury him”.

This week, former police officer Dragan Paunovic, and former deputy head of the
Serbian state security centre in Pristina, Ljubivoje Joksic, also testified in
the trial.

They both denied that Lukic bore any responsibility for the activities of the
Red Berets, the Serbian government’s elite police force, which was set up to
arm, train and coordinate the activities of Serbian paramilitary groups.

Joksic said the Red Berets were under orders from the chief of Serbian state
security, and that Lukic had no operational control over them.

In further testimony, he denied that the interior ministry had persecuted
Albanian nationalist leader Ibrahim Rugova, who would go on to become the first
president of Kosovo, or his close associate, Adnan Merovci.

He said that the house arrest of these two men had been ordered for their own
protection against the Kosovo Liberation Army, KLA - the guerrillas fighting
Serbian rule. He even refused to call this house arrest, since “they could move
freely about the house”, thereby contradicting previous testimony from the two
men themselves.

Joksic went on to accuse the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in
Europe, OSCE, of aiding and training the KLA through its Kosovo Verification
Mission, KVM, which was set up to monitor the situation in the region. He also
blamed German intelligence for the mass exodus of Albanian civilians.

Fourth defence witness General Zoran Mijatovic, the ex-deputy head of the
Serbian secret service, told the court that no-one from the interior ministry
knew about paramilitary units operating in Kosovo. He said the KLA stepped up
its campaign against civilians and police officers after the OSCE’s mission
withdrew in March 1999.

Mijatovic insisted that the interior ministry had acted entirely within the
law, and blamed the army for many of the crimes the police are accused of.

“Some military officers insisted on taking over services, which according to
the law they should not have taken over,” he said, although he did not know who
these officers were.

He also said KLA guerrillas had worn Serbian police and army uniforms to commit
crimes against civilians in order to provoke NATO into attacking Serbia.
However, he gave no evidence to back up this assertion.

Marija Radovanovic is an IWPR reporter in Belgrade.

COURT HEARS MUJAHEDIN TOOK NO ORDERS

Former Muslim fighter says El Mujahid unit in Bosnia had different rules from
Bosnian army.

By Denis Dzidic in Sarajevo

The war crimes trial of a former commander of the Bosnian army heard this week
that foreign Muslim volunteers managed their own units and had a council that
could over-rule government orders.

Aiman Awad, a Syrian citizen and former member of the El Mujahid unit of mainly
foreign Muslim fighters, told judges in the trial of Rasim Delic that the
volunteers had even tried to stop the Bosnian government signing the 1995 peace
deal to end the war, and only reluctantly agreed to go along with it.

Delic is accused of failing to prevent or punish crimes committed by El Mujahid
members, who executed and mistreated dozens of captured Serb and Croat soldiers
in 1995.

Awad, who testified at special hearing held last week in Sarajevo, told judges
that the El Mujahid unit governed itself during the conflict.

“The unit had internal rules that were not those of the BiH army,” he explained.

“The ‘Shura’ was a body made up of members of the unit that decided on every
issue. Even when the army command would issue an order, the Shura would decide
if we would take part in the attack or not.”

According to the witness, the Shura had so much power that they considered
continuing the fight even after the Bosnian army had given the order to stop.

“It was decided that we would not continue because of our good relationship
with the Bosnian Muslims. However, if the Shura hadn’t decided that, it
wouldn’t have happened,” he said.

The witness said he came to Bosnia at the start of the war in 1992 in order to
“fight to help the Muslims here”. He claimed his motivation for coming came
from delivering humanitarian aid to Muslim refugees in Croatia and seeing the
horrible things they had been through.

According to Awad, the El Mujahid unit was formed in the summer of 1993 at the
request of foreign fighters that came from Islamic countries to fight in
Bosnia. He claimed that he personally translated the request from Arabic to
Bosnian and took it to the command of the 3rd Army Corps.

“The order to form the unit came in June or July 1993. I’m not sure if it came
from the army headquarters or the 3rd Corps Command,” he said.

Prosecutor Daryl Mundis played video footage of the formation ceremony of the
El Mujahid. The tape was played several times and it showed Abu Haris, the
commander of the unit, saying, “Bosnia and the army headquarters have confirmed
this ‘El Jihad’ unit as a regular army unit.”

Aiman Awad explained that El Jihad was another name for El Mujahid. According
to the indictment, Delic in August 1993 ordered the creation of the unit within
the army’s 3rd Corps.

The witness also stated that the formation of this unit was important because
“there was a group of Bosniaks, along with the foreigners, that left their
units in order to join ours, and they didn’t want to be considered deserters.
Also, we wanted our unit to be legitimate, and not considered a paramilitary
force”.

He claimed that he worked as a translator inside the group, and so was present
at “meetings between the command of the 3rd Corps and the command of the unit,
when orders were being given”.

Awad went on to give detailed explanations of military activities, as well as
the role of the El Mujahid unit.

According to the indictment, in July and September 1995 the unit attacked the
Krcevine and Vozuca villages in the Zavidovici municipality. During these
attacks, large groups of hostages were taken and placed in the Kamenica camp
for detainees, where they were subject to torture and murder by the mujahedin
soldiers.

Delic is charged with knowing about these activities, being in a position to
stop them, and not doing so.

During his cross examination by the defence, the witness admitted there were
members of the unit that left before the end of the war who had committed some
horrible crimes.

He smiled throughout much of his testimony, and even joked about certain
questions he considered unimportant. He was also seen to wink at Delic during
breaks in proceedings.

When he was asked to speak about the end of the war and the disbanding of his
unit, Awad burst into tears, and the hearing had to be stopped for several
minutes.

On regaining his composure, Awad then testified that Alija Izetbegovic, the
then-president of Bosnia, had told his unit the news about the end of the war
and that Delic had been present at the meeting.

“Members of the El Mujahid unit tried to convince President Izetbegovic that he
shouldn’t sign a peace accord, but he kept saying that the war has to end,”
stated Awad.

The witness also recalled the farewell dinner that was organised in honour of
the disbanding of the unit.

“Rasim Delic was present there, and he expressed his gratitude to the members
of the unit for all their help,” he said.

The witness testified in Sarajevo instead of The Hague, because he lacks a
passport and wouldn’t have been able to return to Bosnia had he left. The trial
will continue on February 14 in The Hague.

Denis Dzidic is an IWPR reporter in Sarajevo.

WITNESS SPEAKS OF CLIMATE OF FEAR IN CROATIA

Croatian Serb tells judges that the new Croatian government “inspired horror”
in Serbs.

By Simon Jennings in The Hague

A witness in the trial of a politician charged with inciting Serbs to ethnic
violence said the accused was unknown in Croatia when the clashes started.

The witness confirmed the view of the defendant, Vojislav Seselj, that the
government of the newly independent Croatia “inspired horror” in Serbs, who
“were certainly afraid by [the then President Franjo Tudjman’s] statements”.

Seselj, leader of the Serbian Radical Party, SRS, is charged by the Hague
tribunal with making “inflammatory speeches in the media, during public events
and during visits to the volunteer units and other Serb forces in Croatia and
Bosnia and Herzegovina, instigating those forces to commit crimes” between 1991
and 1993.

The witness, whose identity was hidden for his own protection, said he was a
member of the Serbian Democratic Party in Croatia’s Serb-populated region of
Western Slavonia.

He is giving evidence under a pseudonym and with the use of voice distortion
technology because he wanted to protect his family following certain unpleasant
incidents on the streets of Belgrade. Seselj remains politically influential,
and his deputy in the SRS was narrowly lost out in presidential elections this
month.

The witness told the court that he heard about crimes committed against Croats
by both SRS volunteers and Serb extremists living in Croatia in various
villages in Western Slavonia during 1991 and 1992.

According to him, Croats were killed and beaten in the villages of Vocin,
Cetekovac and Balinci, among others, while their houses as well as Catholic
churches were razed to the ground.

“Sometime towards the end of 1991, we heard about crimes committed in Western
Slavonia. A number of them we ascribed to volunteers up there to the north of
Vocin. Those around Pakrac were ascribed to Serbian extremists among the local
population,” the witness told the court.

But when asked by the court, he denied that Seselj’s rhetoric had helped to
spark the first violent clashes in 1990.

 “He was completely unknown to Serbs in Croatia at the time,” he said.

In his cross-examination of the witness, Seselj tried to establish reasons,
other than his own rhetoric, for the crimes committed. He asked the witness to
describe the political atmosphere in Croatia during the early 1990s.

The witness explained that Serbs were afraid of the new Croatian government
because of memories of ethnic persecution in World War Two, when Croatia was
ruled by the fascist Ustashe. He said that Tudjman’s regime was “perceived as
the rehabilitation of the Ustashe state”.

“The Serbs in Western Slavonia had misgivings about Tudjman’s authority, his
behaviour, his rhetoric, the provocation that ensued,” he said.

“I remember at all meetings we had, people only shouted, ‘Give us arms, give us
arms’, because they were so frightened about seeing the new Croatian army on
television.”

The indictment against Seselj alleges that he “instigated his followers and the
local authorities to engage in a persecution campaign against the local Croat
population”.  Seselj has countered that the Croats created the animosity in the
political climate of newly independent Croatia.

To demonstrate his point, Seselj asked the witness about the “enormous number”
of camps for Serbs in Western Slavonia where torture was allegedly regularly
conducted by the Croatian authorities.

The witness concurred with Seselj that according to a survivor from one such
camp, Serb prisoners were tortured with electric shocks and “ordered to cut
each others’ ears and then eat them”.

Seselj then went on to try to absolve himself of responsibility for the SRS
volunteers that fought in Croatia. Although he is not actually charged with
such direct responsibility, he explained that after Belgrade’s troops joined
the conflict in September 1991, the volunteers came under central control.

A jocular Seselj embarked on a relentless line of questioning to show that SRS
volunteers “were put on an equal footing” with national soldiers - being paid
by the government, receiving the same military benefits and a military funeral
back in Serbia. The witness confirmed all of his statements about the structure
of Serb armed forces in Croatia.

But the indictment against Seselj refers less to the coordination of SRS
volunteers during combat and more to the way he allegedly instigated violence
and was responsible for acts of propaganda.

He is accused of inciting hatred towards non-Serb people, rather than with
failing to prevent war crimes - a charge that would be more relevant for a
military commander.

Simon Jennings is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

**** www.iwpr.net

TRIBUNAL UPDATE, the publication arm of IWPR's International Justice Project,
produced since 1996, details the events and issues at the International
Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, ICTY, at The Hague.

These weekly reports, produced by IWPR's human rights and media training
project, seek to contribute to regional and international understanding of the
war crimes prosecution process.

The opinions expressed in Tribunal Update are those of the authors and do not
necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

Tribunal Update is supported by the European Commission, the Dutch Ministry for
Development and Cooperation, the Swedish International Development and
Cooperation Agency, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and other funders.
IWPR also acknowledges general support from the Ford Foundation.

TRIBUNAL UPDATE: Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal
Chazan; Senior Editor: John MacLeod; Project Manager: Merdijana Sadovic;
Translation: Predrag Brebanovic, and others.

w: Executive Director: Anthony Borden; Strategy & Assessment Director: Alan
Davis; Chief Programme Officer: Mike Day.

**** www.iwpr.net

IWPR builds democracy at the frontlines of conflict and change through the
power of professional journalism. IWPR programs provide intensive hands-on
training, extensive reporting and publishing, and ambitious initiatives to
build the capacity of local media. Supporting peace-building, development and
the rule of law, IWPR gives responsible local media a voice.

Institute for War & Peace Reporting
48 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

For further details on this project and other information services and media
programmes, go to: www.iwpr.net

ISSN 1477-7940 Copyright © 2008 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

**** www.iwpr.net