Hello everyone,

I downloaded the Trisquel 4.0 beta a while ago and installed it on a spare-parts machine that used an ancient integrated SiS graphics chip. It worked just fine, except in terms of rendering speed - drawing was rather slow, with a single Youtube video essentially halting the machine. This is rather a problem when you want to write OpenGL programs.

Recently, I decided to see how using a real graphics card would affect things, so I tried using a Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3650 AGP 8x card (with 512MB of DDR2 RAM) that I happened to have lying around. Before I did, though, I tried installing the gNewSense 3.0 beta to see how it was coming along. It after installing it successfully and playing about with it for a while, I put the new card in and then tried to re-install Trisquel 4.0.

The problem is that my monitor now turns off with a "No input signal" message after selecting any option from the initial CD menu (the one with the Install/Try without changes/etc options). However, gNewSense 3.0 and Trisquel 3.0 both work fine.

I'm thinking that Trisquel 4.0 must have updated the support for ATi cards since 3.0, but the new code doesn't expect cards such as mine to be AGP. It's an unusual card, I'll admit - and, if the official Windows drivers are anything to go by, it's a rather awkward attempt to fit a PCIe-shaped peg into an AGP-shaped hole.

So, would the developers be interested in attempting to verify and fix this (possible) bug in order to increase hardware support? If so, how can I help? If not, can anyone point me in the direction of a "decent" AGP card with which to fix up this machine? "Decent" here is defined as "it's not as terrible as SiS integrated graphics and can do some OpenGL stuff."

Since I'm here, I might as well ask a related question: How well do the newest Intel integrated graphics chips (such as the Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD) perform using Free drivers? I've been wanting to learn about shaders for a while, but currently my only options are MacOSX, Windows, or using non-free GNU/Linux drivers. I was looking into getting a new laptop anyway, so any information here would be useful.

Thanks for any responses.