I could not get it to work. I played around with /etc/default/grub and the /etc/grub,d/ files but I had no luck (those are the files where other people suggest changes should be made). It would either show the same mess or nothing at all. I do not have sufficient knowledge of the boot/startup process to diagnose this further.

I also tried doing the uvesafb fix (http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lucidubuntu-10-04-high-resolution-plymouth-virtual-terminal-for-atinvidia-cards-with-proprietaryrestricted-driver/) but that did not work either.

From what I've gathered the problem is that it takes too long for the Plymouth driver(?) to load before the desktop is ready. It seems to be because it starts too late (http://askubuntu.com/questions/79953/why-does-plymouth-start-so-late). But the live CD works correctly, so either the the installed settings differ from that of the live CD or the CD is just so much slower than the hard drive to allow it to load sooner. As a note, I upgraded the hard drive to a 7200 drive (was 5400 before) but I cannot imagine that that would play a role. I installed Fedora 16 on the exact same hardware and Plymouth worked correctly.

I've also got a Dell GX280 with onboard Intel graphics and Plymouth works correctly. It's running Trisquel 5 32-bit. Incidentally this machine has a 5400 hard drive.

My only suggestion right now is that if the corrupted graphics are too annoying you can edit /etc/default/grub and look for the line that says:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
and remove the "splash". If you do that, remember to run
  # update-grub
when you're done. That should stop Plymouth from displaying, though I still got a very brief flash of some corrupted graphics but it was not the same as the corrupted Plymouth graphics,

Unfortunately, I won't be looking at this issue for a while because I'm running Debian on the Thinkpad now (without Plymouth, though) and I do not have any other hardware to test with.

If somebody wants to test this further:
- do an Ubuntu 11.04 (I think that's Trisquel 5's base) install on the same machine and see if the problem persists,
 - do the installs on both 7200 and 5400 hard drives.

If Ubuntu works on the same machine with both drive speeds, or at least on the drive where Trisquel's Plymouth is corrupted, then the problem lies with Trisquel. I don't know if Trisquel makes any changes to startup, though.

Otherwise it could be that it just starts too late and a slower hard drive gives it enough time to load. In which case someone with a better understanding of the startup load order might be able to help?