OK, so I actually found another 5400 hard drive to put into the Thinkpad. My testing so far:
- 5400 vs 7200 hard drive makes no difference to Plymouth,
- Ubuntu 11.04 gives me a similarly corrupted Plymouth.

I found an interesting thing. When the corrupted image appears and I switch to another console (for example CTRL+ALT+F6) and switch back (CTRL+ALT+F7) immediately, the Plymouth animation actually works 100% for the remaining few seconds.

I'm now busy installing Ubuntu 11.10 to see if anything has changed there.