Keep pushing back against the university. Make people aware of it. Every time you encounter a problem complain! Make others aware. The more costly it is for them to ignore the problem the better.

We need to demand free software compatibility. The US is better I think most of the time than China although we run into these same types of issues.

I was unable to get onto a school wireless network once in one building. The number of people complaining forced them to act. Within hours the building worked with GNU/Linux again.