I support totally free/libre because I enjoy making stuff for free and contributing to projects which support freedom. In turn this helps me and others not just one sole-entity or corporation which is trying to get rich and lock down the source code by not sharing it with others.

There are some blockers...
1) Most "bugs" are caused by compatibility issues with non-free formats.
(This includes some excel documents, 3ds Max file types, Adobe Flash, graphic cards and wireless chipsets, etc.) 2) Companies frown upon those using free software because they think it isn't good enough.

The benefits:
1) I can make a zillion copies legally
2) I am helping others and usually get better support than from Microsoft regarding bugs I do find 3) No fear of embedded spyware or as Adobe likes to say "web beacons" in the software.

If I'm paying for software I like to know it's not coming bundled with spyware, tracking and other nuances. User Privacy and code-transparency is a wonderful part of FOSS.

If more hackers make linux easier for "human beings" we could slowly convert people to GNU/Linux. There's a lot of compatibility and more being worked on everyday. Sadly as miga stated above schools and workforce generally forces non-free software down the peoples throats. Time to resist it and promote free software as much as possible. Find a bug? Fix it, or pay a hacker to do it for you and release the code into the GPL. :)

Just my two cents.