Ok that first article you linked is about open-source and making $$.

[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html Free software] (what we are concerned about here) is black and white. Does a license provide for the 4 freedoms or not. Both the modified BSD license and GPL are both free software licenses.

I believe your concern is with the copyleft portion of the GPL. You say that BSD is "a freer license" and I believe you say that because it doesn't have the copyleft part. However you forget what [https://www.fsf.org/about/ software freedom is about]. Read the page I linked above. Free software is about freedom for '''users''' not for '''developers'''. The second link you give has an awful example about copyleft using a candybar with the "restriction" that you keep half and give half to a friend. This is a [http://www.dartmouth.edu/~writing/materials/student/ac_paper/logic.shtml#avoiding false analogy (logical fallacy)].

Regardless if you don't like the GPL as a free software license there are [https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html plenty of others for you to choose].