If I'm recalling my numbers right Canonical has about 500 developers the last time I checked. That is up from 80 a few years ago. It is difficult to compete with that kind of pool. I might be wrong about the 500 developer count. They have at least that many employees and if it is anything like it was a few years ago I believe they are mostly developers so it might not be far off even if I'm wrong.

I don't know of any other distribution with so many developers. Novell and Redhat are probably competing although it seems like they really have targeted a different market from the feel of the distribution. In fact Redhat has explicitly stated that much and I'm pretty confident in saying Novell remains a 'network' company or at least never really got into the desktop. I think when SUSE was a German operation back in early 2000's they were more desktop oriented.

Redhat has 3,200 employees according to wikipedia. I don't know how many are developers. Redhat hasn't focused on the desktop like Canonical for 15 -18 years. Compare that to Canonical which was prior to 11.04. They still are much more focused on consumer devices than Redhat.

Novell says they employee 3,600 people. Again I don't know the developer count. I believe Novell is a dying company though.

The good news about Novell and Canonical dying is Redhat isn't going anywhere and they contribute significantly to the desktop. Possibly more than Canonical. That is at least in terms of code. For whatever reason they just don't put out a polished desktop distribution like Trisquel, Canonical, and Linux Mint. I don't mean to exclude other distributions. I'm just naming those which are free and/or at the top in numbers of users.

Ideally what I would like to see is a developer pool independent of hand outs. There is no reason you can't make money on free software. Our own success shows that its feasible. I don't believe we are the only ones to have a successful business model around desktop GNU/Linux. There was one other distribution which I'll say was successful in terms of having had brought in sufficient dollars to stay afloat and even prosper. I won't mention the company due to the particular distaste this community had for it at the time. They did a lot of things wrong although I think much of it was blown out of proportion. As much as they spent on PR the top executives ruined it. They didn't get it even though the company was largely going in the right direction. The part they didn't get was you can't go saying things which anger the larger community no matter how right you think you are. Had the main shareholder not screwed things up financially for the company they would probably be a free distribution today (or close to it-they did exit with a mostly free distribution- at least to the extent Ubuntu is free- which it isn't- but it is based largely free software-Unity for instance, etc vs non-free stuff SUSE produced in the day or Xandros). That is a pretty big step for a company that was cautious and essentially started out as a business based on non-free software. They never did completely exit the non-free business although I bet they could have given enough time. Everything developed in house was free'd by the end.