I'm not confused. The point of an LTS is a long term release which means I get 3-5 years of support instead of the 18 months of the standard release. People especially use an LTS for their web servers and many use them for their desktop to get a stable release for their home or work computer.

Other Ubuntu based distros like Linux Mint don't use the Update Manager shared by Ubuntu and Trisquel and sometimes even doing a dist-upgrade from one release to the next can cause issues. They recommend wiping the drive and starting from scratch with each release but I can understand why some people want to update the system through apt instead. That is why I wouldn't really recommend Linux Mint for a person that wants to use it for an extended period of time and wants easy upgrades.

I know that Canonical uses the non-LTS releases as a way to test out experimental features, but they work very hard in making sure their LTS releases are solid and will often remove things they don't seem 100% stable from the LTS release.

If you said it would be ok to do an LTS to LTS upgrade and the update manager is setup for that like in Ubuntu, then you have eased my worries.