I say this because the default FreeFonts are still considered a work in progress and aren't at the quality of the Liberation ones. Steve White and I have been conversing back and forth since this past December and I've been testing his improvements and giving suggestions on how to improve them.

I do admit that character wise, the FreeSerif is a lot closer to Times New Roman than Liberation Serif. The issue is that the spacing is a little off vertically and horizontally and not even the OTF and TTF line up metrically to Times New Roman or Liberation Serif. If they fix those issues, then it would be a true drop-in replacement for the MS fonts. Of course there is the whole politics aspect of it like LibreOffice and OpenOffice not rendering it properly and neither camp is taking suggestions to improve it.