I'm referring to the ttf-liberation fonts because I tried out the latest 5.5 ISO from http://devel.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/ and they weren't installed by default. I do understand that this isn't a pure Ubuntu clone and it is evident by including the ttf-droid fonts by default which I believe Ubuntu does not.

I also looked at other related fonts which are Tinos, Arimo, and Cousine which are default serif, sans-serif, and monospace for ChromeOS. They were done by the same guy that did the Liberation fonts and they seem like a carbon copy copy. Cousine doesn't, but the other two fonts are indistinguishable to me when used in LibreOffice and PDFs.

I'd also like to note that the fonts in this release don't look as crisp as the Gnome 2 based ones or Ubuntu 11.10 running Unity with the same settings. Maybe it is the Gnome Fallback but they look "smeary" to me even though I have the same settings on 4.0 and Ubuntu 11.10 which are Subpixel smoothing, Slight Hinting, and RGB for Subpixel Order. When running the live CD, I tried to change the fonts (since they were small) and didn't see an immediate font change. I'm guessing I would have to login and logout to see everything changed and I cannot do that with the live CD.