Most of the hardware in the Neo Freerunner is open, so companies could simply buy the hardware from Openmoko and fix the hardware problems themselves without needing to rely on Openmoko. Anyway, I never had any problems making or receiving calls when using the latest Openmoko distribution (Om2009) or QtMoko, although the call quality is very bad (unless I use a bluetooth headset) as I didn't get a buzz-fixed phone. I did however have trouble making calls or sending SMS messages with other distros (hackable:1, SHR).