Trisquel does work very well thanks in large part to the lead developer Rubén. Unfortunately many of us still have issues due the dominance of non-free business models. Making a usable free distribution becomes difficult as a result.

There are lots of things that need to be worked on in the free software movement. Many of these things are beyond Rubén's direct control. Fortunately there are others out there. Check out the fsf for instance.

Rubén's playing an important part in making it possible to use a mostly free system (Trisquel is 100% free although there are still parts which are non-free in your computer unrelated to your operating system).

The community has set a goal (missed, but we are still working on it anyway) of getting 100 members by the end of January 2012(?). This effort is helping to fund the project.

Right now the project does not make enough to fund a developer full time. Rubén has been working hard on Trisquel for many years and it would be nice if we could raise enough money for him to dedicate his full attention to the project.

If you are able become a member do so! You don't have to contribute much if you aren't able.

https://trisquel.info/en/member

There are other ways to help fund the project. Besides working to improve support for free and truly free operating systems like Trisquel (most of all) my company is donating 25% of the profits when you purchase hardware through http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/. We also donate to other free projects like the free software foundation amongst others depending on where you get it from. All purchases help in a number of ways though. We are focused on end-users and improving support for free software wherever that leads us. Such as getting the source code to firmware released where there are no alternatives. Our entire catalog is free software compatible. We specifically make sure Trisquel is well supported.

You can also donate a lump sum too although as a member you will probably end up donating more over time. It also won't be as much of a burden.

There are other projects which need your help that Trisquel relies on. The drivers/firmware that we are working to get the code for is one good example.

Spreading the message that non-free drivers/firmware are problematic is something everybody agrees on. Both the guys distributing non-free distributions and free distributions. You could help by recommending solutions to this problem on other forums. Non-free distributions included. That is those having problems with wireless cards like: braodcom, intel, ralink, realtek, etc or Nvidia/ATI. It is really simple to fix. Replace the card (where possible) and/or don't buy further hardware dependent on non-free drivers/firmware. Users have to demand freedom friendly hardware if things are going to improve.