On 02/06/12 14:15, ch...@thinkpenguin.com wrote:
> It sounds unlikely any system will be without this feature should the
> industry adopt it. It's like the non-free BIOS now. Nobody caters to
> GNU/Linux because users don't demand freedom/compatibility. The people
> who buy such hardware are almost entirely doing so because they made bad
> decisions in the first place (replacement pieces/systems).

As Professor Anderson of Cambridge University pointed out last September
Microsoft would fall foul of EU monopoly law if they cooked Windows 8
Logo requirements so as to cut out GNU/Linux.

In January it transpired Microsoft are doing the opposite with x86 logo
requirements, they're insisting GNU/Linux boot must be possible.  But
they're locking ARM PCs.

In March I posted here a summary of a letter from my MEP / European
Deputy where at my prompting she has asked the European Commission to
consider if even locking ARM PCs is a violation of European Law.

See it all on my home page.

http://andrewlindley.co.uk/

The FSFE is right, the _general_ practice of producing restricted boot
computers has to fought or we're limited to jailbreaking new devices on
a case by case basis and general purpose computing devices are under
threat.

But as far as 'Secure Boot' goes, I repeat YHBT.

--
With computer technology we're building a world where Orwell's 1984
could be a childhood fantasy akin to Santa Claus. What makes you