@malberts: Thanks for posting this !

It essentially supports my experiences from running Debian via a 4GB CF card and an IDE2CF adapter. Mind you ! It is still possible to screw up a CF card in a minimal amount of time. Our apprentice at work had a small Via Eden system running IPFire from a CF card and unfortunately did not use the Flash-specific version of IP Fire. I have no real clue what happened but after a few weeks when using the IDS system of IPFire the CF Card "blew up".

Unfortunately manufacturers of Flash media (e.g. Sandisk) does not provide any technical data. At least I never found a specific MTBF or MTTF values for flash memory.

Given on the links to the archwiki, my observations and the test of C't it is not really possible to break a good quality flash media. At least not if you use it with precaution, do your homework and do not do strange things.

Of course it might happen that a flash media breaks but so does any HDD.