Compact flash may work better than the mediums I've tested. I've tested the best quality parts with the highest reviews and various other factors. There may be an issue in relation to connector that is ultimately the real problem. I'm still working out where the issue is. My tests have not been to compact flash so I can't confirm it is flash issue specifically. It may be related to USB/and or the SDHC connection. Ultimately though I would not suggest using SDHC/USB flash/Micro SDHC/Mini SDHC/or similar unless you set it up for read-only operation with all other writes going to memory. That does work better from my experience. The constant read/write from updating these cards appears to wear them out quickly regardless of the quality/price. This is true when you use read-only for regular use and boot in a read/write mode only for update purposes.