It is hard to know what to go with.

nVidia regularly release great working Linux drivers, but they are proprietary and closed source, I believe. The drivers work well with many 3D games. nVidia really do not try and support free software as a company, for some reason, so people say. (Linus recently said that they were the worst company to work with, for some reason.)

AMD/Radeon release open source GNU/Linux drivers. I believe these drivers would be free, but there is a small binary blob in them, which AMD/Radeon need for protection of some sort. AMD seem to be giving support to free software - they are meant to try and back the Coreboot project, but I haven't heard of them paying for any development there. Also, afaik, AMD don't produce mass market motherboards, so their support for Coreboot and a free BIOS might not matter. Also, this Coreboot support is not the issue I am here concerned about. From what I have heard, the non-proprietary AMD/Radeon drivers don't work too well with Linux games, which defeats the whole point of getting a fast graphics card.

The third choice, there might be others, I don't know, is to forgo a dedicated graphics card altogether and rely upon the 3D graphics integrated into the chipset on the motherboard. I don't know how good the latest integrated graphics are, but they wouldn't be up to playing the latest 3D games, I think.

What do you think is the way to go here? I would very much like to hear your opinions and reasoning.

Thank you!