Here are my few cents:
If you want full compatibility with best featureset under free license then stick to Intel. In general Intel will be quite pricy compared to AMD CPUs. Despite the big "stinko" master Torvalds has sent towards NVidia, they still provide the best 3D performance, most stable driver set and best Video acceleration under Linux if you use their propritary driver, which is of course a no-no under Trisquel. By using Noveau they still will perform great and can easily beat the fastest Intel stuff available. If you dig a bit in the forum / mailing list you will find a few postings of me where my old AMD dualcore (2x2.7 GHz) with GeForce 9800GT could still compete under Xonotic with the fastest Intel CPU plus fastest onboard graphic adapter. I can through together a system like mine with a fast used NVidia GPU from the bay plus silent GPU cooler for below 300€ while the Intel opponent (Intel i7 3770K) plus motherboard costs > 450€.

You be the judge !

Noveau has its issues though like lack of power management (e.g. fast spinning fans, higher power consumption) which you can compensate by choosing a low-power AMD CPU and simply applying a silent cooling solution to your NVidia GPU.

If you want issue-free 1080p playback you should either get an Intel-based system or simply use an NVidia adapter with a fast enough CPU (> 2-4x2.7 GHz).

While AMD cards are a big no-no under Trisquel as well because of their ucode required to run the free radeon driver, they provide a better 3D feature set compared to Nouveau but not as good as Intel.